#1 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

hey howdy hi,

i just wrapped my third project with the red, shooting 4K, 2:1, redcode 36, (my first AC knows the build number) and standard speeds.

i'ved used HMIs, 575 pars and 1200 fresnels, on all three shoots. during the third, i noticed a drastic change in how the camera handles HMIs.

as usual, when HMIs warm up, the color temp is all over place. i noticed on the red onboard, evf, sony dvm and panny 17", that the HMI read as yellow when it was fully warmed up (upon warming up, the green tinge looked super green, like radioactive). i thought maybe it was a chroma or phase issue on the dvm and panny, but it was not. i thought it was a fixture issue (just that 575, but my other 575 looked the same, as did the 1200).

then i thought it was some kind of anomaly of shooting in a pink room, but it wasn't as the same happened EXT. in day light. this is all when shooting with the red balanced to 5600, and the HMI coming through several different diffusions (either opal, half grid, eighth or quarter white).

throwing some 1/4 minus green on the lamp helped a bit.

once shooting EXT. night, i balanced the camera to 5000, and threw 1/4 blue on the lamp and didn't see a hint of yellow. and my daylight balanced kinos were fine all shoot.

any thoughts about why the HMIs looked yellow?

thanks,

rk.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

Have you tried the latest build with the new Color Science? It seems to have fixed that problem, or reduced it, that over-exaggeration of yellows. It's not in the RAW files, it has to do with the processing to color. Of course, since RAW always has to be processed into color, you might as well have said it was in the original for all practical purposes, but the issue seems to have been addressed to some degree.

#3 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Have you tried the latest build with the new Color Science? It seems to have fixed that problem, or reduced it, that over-exaggeration of yellows. It's not in the RAW files, it has to do with the processing to color. Of course, since RAW always has to be processed into color, you might as well have said it was in the original for all practical purposes, but the issue seems to have been addressed to some degree.

i'm not sure about the build or using the new color science. sometimes, i try to leave info/issues that are that menu/science based to my first, so i can not worry and just think in terms of images.

i'll take a look at the raw images in redalert! and compare them to the same image with a color space.

thanks david.

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS