Dustin Muncy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Cincinnati

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

I'm doing an independent study this summer, and had an idea for a foot chase scene through the city. I've storyboarded the shots outs, and have some locations scouted. However, I want it to have a "gritty" realistic feel to it. I've been looking online for an example, but haven't really been able to find exactly what I'm looking for.
I guess this closest thing might be one of the foot chase scenes out of the Bourne Ultimatum movie. Pretty much the scene is going to take place during the day. I want a slightly overexposed look, I want the movements to be crisp and clear when I get in close when I have the actors running.
I'll be using a Panasonic DVX100b camera. I guess I'm trying to decide what kind of setting to have on the camera. I don't know if anyone else has shot such a scene on this camera, or even any similar camera or project.
As of now this might be the best I can describe while I keep looking for a better example. Any comments, suggestions, or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

Point Break has a great foot chase

#3 Jeremy Parsons

Jeremy Parsons
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

I did a similar project this past semester. I used the foot chase at the beginning of The French Connection as my inspiration for the feel and pace of my chase.

It helps to heavily storyboard an action sequence like this. I found I had to physically go to the neighborhood and draw my boards on site so I knew how I wanted my actors to interact with the environment.

It took a long time, but was well worth it in the end. By the day of shoot, I had about 6 pages of 12-up pages to show my crew and actors exactly what I wanted. The vision was clear to everyone and it made the shoot go VERY fast. It probably took less time to shoot than took to me to scout and sketch!

This is the final product. I was shooting on Super 8mm BW reversal film.

View on Vimeo

#4 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I did a similar project this past semester. I used the foot chase at the beginning of The French Connection as my inspiration for the feel and pace of my chase.

It helps to heavily storyboard an action sequence like this. I found I had to physically go to the neighborhood and draw my boards on site so I knew how I wanted my actors to interact with the environment.

It took a long time, but was well worth it in the end. By the day of shoot, I had about 6 pages of 12-up pages to show my crew and actors exactly what I wanted. The vision was clear to everyone and it made the shoot go VERY fast. It probably took less time to shoot than took to me to scout and sketch!

This is the final product. I was shooting on Super 8mm BW reversal film.

View on Vimeo

You need a stack of brand new empty boxes that are in the path for no particular reason that your hero can run into.

#5 Joe Giambrone

Joe Giambrone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

"This is the final product. I was shooting on Super 8mm BW reversal film.
[url="http://www.vimeo.com/4253236""]
View on Vimeo[/url]

That was good.

Check this:

District B13 - Chase Scene

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc