Photo

The astatic appearance/ Visually appealing...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 John Young

John Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Other
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

So, I have been looking at several trailers of up and coming filmmakers, and some of the new HD stuff that is in the theatres.

OK, I rather dislike video in any format. The 24p stuff that my HV20 gives is a smidgen better than just ok, but my K-3 looks amazing (provided the telecine was good).

Public Enemies - I am very much distracted by the intermixing of the HD footage (no matter how expensive the camera), and the film. I was at the local electronics store and saw a Blue-Ray version of Pirates 3. They had the TV sampling rate on super-ultra-awesome cool wow, and I thought it looked like the evening news from '89. So I don't like the look of "crisp" Blue-Ray.

I fully understand not having any money to produce the stories in your mind on the medium of your choice; you have to go with what you have. Some people only have a Sony Hi8 camcorder and can only shoot SD. That's find, and I will NEVER understand why people in this situation spend so much time and money on trying to emulate the "film" look.

So, any thoughts on why I can't stand the 30i look? Any thoughts on your favorite look?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

The Slider

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post