#1 Eric Kline

Eric Kline

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

I have a small grip and lighting package that I rent out to smaller productions such as documentaries and short films. Recently, I let my kit go out on a shoot and it was apparently 5 days of rain with a lot of exterior work. The gear came back a little soggy and now my Cstands have started to stick when I try to spread them out. Do you guys have any suggestions on what a proper way to maintain Matthews 40" stands would be? I've heard WD40 and steel wool, but thought I'd check with you guys first.

thanks in advance.

#2 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

I notice that no one has replied to this thread, so perhaps the best idea would be to contact Matthews directly. http://www.msegrip.c...hp?show=contact

#3 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

I notice that no one has replied to this thread, so perhaps the best idea would be to contact Matthews directly. http://www.msegrip.c...hp?show=contact

everybody has their own "formula" From chrome polish to w-d40 to simple green. I like to use a synthetic scrubbie (like for dishes) with simple green, then chrome polish, then disassemble the heads, clean, and lubricate the head with white lithium grease in a tube ( more control over where it goes). This seems to keep the stands nice and smooth.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

everybody has their own "formula" From chrome polish to w-d40 to simple green. I like to use a synthetic scrubbie (like for dishes) with simple green, then chrome polish, then disassemble the heads, clean, and lubricate the head with white lithium grease in a tube ( more control over where it goes). This seems to keep the stands nice and smooth.

This seems like a much better method than steel wool. Steel wool will eventually remove all of the chrome plating and your stands will rust.

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

This seems like a much better method than steel wool. Steel wool will eventually remove all of the chrome plating and your stands will rust.

The fact is the green kitchen Scotchbrite pads are actually more abrasive than some grades of steel wool. They can easily abrade steel and plated finishes. If you're going to use a 3M Scotchbrite pad, they make an entire range of them, in various grades for cleaning and polishing. See their website for more information.

#6 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

The fact is the green kitchen Scotchbrite pads are actually more abrasive than some grades of steel wool. They can easily abrade steel and plated finishes. If you're going to use a 3M Scotchbrite pad, they make an entire range of them, in various grades for cleaning and polishing. See their website for more information.

Hi JD,

I hope that you are doing well. I have a project about which you gave me a good suggestion last year that I hope to post some info. on soon.
(Yeah, last year, I know!)

I think that Robert may have been referring to Simple Green the cleaner that comes in a spray bottle rather than an abrasive pad.

Simple Green

#7 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi JD,

I hope that you are doing well. I have a project about which you gave me a good suggestion last year that I hope to post some info. on soon.
(Yeah, last year, I know!)

I think that Robert may have been referring to Simple Green the cleaner that comes in a spray bottle rather than an abrasive pad.

Simple Green

JD is right however, scotchbrite pads also come in different grades. I find that unless there is sever pitting of the chrome the Kitchen grade attached to a sponge found at the local grocery is sufficient. It isn't too abrasive but takes off any gunk. If you have sever pitting go for steel wool or the industrial scotchbtrite. Once pitting has begun there is no going back.

#8 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

JD is right however, scotchbrite pads also come in different grades. I find that unless there is sever pitting of the chrome the Kitchen grade attached to a sponge found at the local grocery is sufficient. It isn't too abrasive but takes off any gunk. If you have sever pitting go for steel wool or the industrial scotchbtrite. Once pitting has begun there is no going back.

"Once pitting has begun there is no going back."

I know! I had to keep a car outside for a couple years and if I had only taken the wheels off or at least coated them with wax or something
I wouldn't have pitted chrome reverse wheels (the old type that you can't even find anymore) now.

#9 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

"Once pitting has begun there is no going back."

I know! I had to keep a car outside for a couple years and if I had only taken the wheels off or at least coated them with wax or something
I wouldn't have pitted chrome reverse wheels (the old type that you can't even find anymore) now.

Tim,
You might try that Magic Chrome Brush you can find at Auto part stores, my Dad swears by it with his British Cars.

#10 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

Tim,
You might try that Magic Chrome Brush you can find at Auto part stores, my Dad swears by it with his British Cars.

Thanks Robert, I'm going to parts store tomorrow; I'll check it out.

#11 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:16 AM

The problem with using steel wool is the broken strands that can be left behind, these will cause nasty looking rust stains. We don't use any steel wool in the shop, only woven synthetic pads or copper wool. If you have to clean something and your worried about the plating, try copper wool pads. I used to be able to get these in the dollar store, but now they are passing off plated steel pads as copper. Not the same. A green kitchen Scotch Brite pad is not the same as 3m's Industrial line of hand pads. Hopfully this link works: http://multimedia.mm...s6661XTCOrrrrQ-
Otherwise start here: http://solutions.3m....-Center/Search/
and download the Hand Finishing Systems document

Edited by JD Hartman, 03 August 2009 - 12:18 AM.

#12 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:59 AM

Is that stuff the same as Neverdull?

Regards, Dave

#13 John David Miller

John David Miller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

I have done plenty of work in very wet places like Hawaii and all over the Caribbean. I have found that a product called ACF50 is best against rust and corrosion. It is used in the aerospace industry and is a little pricey. Start with a heavier steel wool and work your way to a very fine.

http://www.corrosion...cts/acf-50.html

Now if one of my guys has pissed me off or came in late I'll have him wax the risers with a carnuba wax as well.

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

The Slider

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Willys Widgets

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport