#1 Daniel Katz

Daniel Katz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

I read in Screen International that Christopher Nolan's latest collaboration with Wally Pfister, ( Inception ) has begun principal photography. Does anyone have an idea what format or formats they are shooting. I heard a rumor that this could be shot entirely in 65mm?

#2 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:44 AM

Um, I had to sign a rather large NDA, to my knowledge something different than the above, PM me . . .

#3 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Is that a 65mm-camera? The mag looks quite thick to me?

http://www.comingsoo...tion_Set_78.jpg
http://www.comingsoo...tion_Set_18.jpg

#4 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

That looks very heavy whatever format it is...

#5 Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:00 AM

It is a 35mm Panavision XL with a 400 mag. It is the lightest camera in the Panavison sync camera inventory.

#6 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for the information, I've found images which show the camera better:
http://www.nolanfans...sfilming108.jpg

I've never seen a Panavision in person, it looks HUGE! I didn't expect a Penelope but even the 65mm-Panavision doesn't seem to be much bigger (is it sync?):

That leaves us with the start question: which formats are used? I've hoped for 65mm + IMAX - why not?

#7 Frank Love

Frank Love

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • New York City

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

I'd say the camera only appears larger because of all the apparatus on it plus the size of the lens. What Wally has on there cannot be 65mm unless they got special 400ft loads since 65mm comes in 1000' and 2500' as per 65mm & IMAX mag sizes last I checked. Panavision does have a System-65 and a 65mm handheld camera, but neither look like that one. The standard 65 camera looks like that of a Platinum not a Millenium, and the HH camera look frankly like neither. Arri also has their 765 camera, but that is clearly not an Arriflex, and Mr. Pfister has used Panavision Anamorphics almost exclusively. Also from what I've seen in the trailer I can guess that perhaps the film is 35mm anamorphic format with possibly some 65mm either in sequences or possibly for aerial. I'm holding out hope the next Batman is all IMAX.

#8 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:41 AM

Thanks, Frank :rolleyes:

They have made some driving scenes on IMAX-cameras recently. I was surprised that "Dark Knight" turned out this well story-wise but it's still a pretty primitive comic-adaption and I think other material fits his skill much better (just look at his two original screenplays/movies: Prestige and Memento :blink: ) - I'm not sure if he should "waste" his creative energy to another "Batman"-adaptation!? Why not 65mm and IMAX right now on "Inception"? I hope the 35mm-handheld-scenes are just a minority.

#9 Shaan Aslam

Shaan Aslam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

I read that it is being shot entirlely on 35mm and blown up for IMAX. Anyone else disappointing? :(

#10 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

I read that it is being shot entirlely on 35mm and blown up for IMAX. Anyone else disappointing? :(

my buddy worked on it. they are shooting anamorphic and 65mm. should be gorgeous. teaser looks great, doesn't?

#11 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

my buddy worked on it. they are shooting anamorphic and 65mm. should be gorgeous. teaser looks great, doesn't?

Did he happen to say if they were shooting 5 perf Super Panavision 65, or 15 perf horizontal Imax? Anything on ratio between 35 and 65?

#12 ryan knight

ryan knight
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

Did he happen to say if they were shooting 5 perf Super Panavision 65, or 15 perf horizontal Imax? Anything on ratio between 35 and 65?

unfortunately he is not technically savvy enough to have been aware of such details. and that's a no to the ratio question as well, sorry. what was TDK's ratio, like 4 or 5 to 1, 35 to imax... ? probably only shooting action seq's in imax, and maybe some big vistas (they did some mountain stuff in BC, and i think they were in euro too).

the international shot all their mega wide vistas in europe on 65, to really appreciate the details and the architecture (even though they were extremely wide compositions).

#13 Shaan Aslam

Shaan Aslam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Oh, my bad. The teaser did look somewhat above orgasmic, but I'm a newbie so I couldn't tell. Personally, Wally Pfister is one of my favorite working cinematographers and I can't wait until this comes out. I just saw The Prestige and his work was fantastic.

#14 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

It is a 35mm Panavision XL with a 400 mag. It is the lightest camera in the Panavison sync camera inventory.

Exactly. And it's an anamorphic lens in those pictures.

#15 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:27 AM

My friend who worked on the film says they always had two 5-perf 65mm Panavision cameras on set. One regular speed, one high speed. He says the new trailer doesn't even show the tip of the iceberg. Bottom line: this film is gonna be AWESOME.

#16 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

That's smart using 5-perf. instead of 15 for everything, though I love 15.

Wally Pfister is one of the guys I will see every movie he shoots. He really is a visual storyteller instead of just peddling off bland crap saying it "serves the story" that way.

I'd see a movie he shot if it were on VHS-C.

#17 Shaan Aslam

Shaan Aslam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

That's smart using 5-perf. instead of 15 for everything, though I love 15.

Wally Pfister is one of the guys I will see every movie he shoots. He really is a visual storyteller instead of just peddling off bland crap saying it "serves the story" that way.

I'd see a movie he shot if it were on VHS-C.

Couldn't agree more.

#18 james mcpherson

james mcpherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

im working on it at the moment at dneg. dneg are doing the whole show, and its being kept very closely underwraps. i dont think anyone would want to risk their job talking about it, all i can say is go and see it, its going to be awesome!

#19 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thank god for guys like Nolan and Pfister keeping large format alive. Nolan could do a film about paint drying, and I'd go see it if he shot it in 65mm!

BR

#20 Chris D Walker

Chris D Walker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Other
  • Cornwall, United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

In Nolan's own words - Inception in 5/65

Major sequences shot in both 5/65 and 8-perf 35mm for standard and Imax release. Likely the same as what they did with The Dark Knight; photochemical timing, scanning the IP at 4K and recording back to 35mm and 15/70 DMR IN? I don't like DiCaprio, but I'm still going to watch this come day one.

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS