Photo

Difference between film scanning and telecine?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

Hey, I am having trouble figuring out what the difference is between film scanning and telecine in post? I am sure there is a difference, but do you need both? What does each one do? Thank you

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

Resolution, normally, as well as final format.
Telecine can be HD, up to 1080, and goes to tape (HDCam SR normally these days).
Scanning can be 2K/4K/6K and doesn't go to tape, it goes to digital files, normally, which are higher resolution etc. Also time. Telecine is in real-time whereas scanning, at this point, normally isn't.
You don't necessarily need both, though most full films use both. They use the telecine to make their dailies and low res videos of the film which they'll edit. Then, later on, they'll scan only the footage used in the edit itself and do their color correction on that. Of course, you could also do all your color correction in the telecine suite, but when you're working on say, a 35mm budget feature, a DI (scanning) is kind of the norm these days.

#3 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

So is film scanning like the DI? Or is that just a whole other thing all together? If it is different, then what exactly is the DI for? Thanks for getting back to me so quick

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

DI could be either, it just means there is a digital step in post before going to theaters, unlike a traditional photochemical finish. But normally for a DI you'd scan the film up. That is the case maybe 90% of the time with film origination, I'd say. Sometimes, though, you save money to a HDCamSR telecine/tape to tape correctoin/conform then go to screens, but that would still be considered a DI.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Double post (sorry)

#6 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Ya, I called Filmworks/FX in Hollywood and asked them about it, and they said what you said. Film scanning is a much higher quality and telecine is used more for dailies. Its all based on budget, and unfortunately the budget that I will have to work with will not be enough for scanning. Thanks for your help

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

Quality is rather subjective. it is higher resolution etc, and the files more flexible on occasion, but there's nothing inherently "low quality" about a telecine, least of all when going out to a high level tape stock, like HDCamSR. Yes, they are mainly used for dailies, as they record in real time whereas scanning is not real time.

CineTape

Glidecam

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery