8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Norris

Tom Norris
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

When viewing clips (on youtube or vimeo) that were filmed with Russian cameras, or older Arri cameras (or even with the Aaton A-minima), I find they have a poorer quality than videos I've found that claim to be shot with a Arriflex 416 or an SR-3. As such, I am curious as to whether or not an older camera (or cheaper camera, in the case of an A-minima) would affect the image quality in any way. As well I am curious if simply better operation or if a better lens was used, that the DP could attain just as good an image with a 416 as with a Krasnogorsk.

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:45 AM

In general the better the camera the better the image steadiness ...

But its really the fact that these cameras are usually a part of a much larger package of a professional production, if you are using an SR3 you'll likely have a good collection of prime lenses and a project with a budget to work with - equating to a better transfer, grade, selection of lighting, um, wotnot and so on - but also that this budget is being spent on and by a professional DP who brings a wealth of experience in lighting and the subtleties of composition etc...

In comparison your average K3 user may still be learning exposure.

A professional will very likely get some beautiful results from a K3, whereas a beginner might simply break a better camera and get well, nothing...

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

When viewing clips (on youtube or vimeo) that were filmed with Russian cameras, or older Arri cameras (or even with the Aaton A-minima), I find they have a poorer quality than videos I've found that claim to be shot with a Arriflex 416 or an SR-3.

There is so much compression typically applied to a video that will be seen on a 4 by 5 inch window on a screen, that the quality of any of them will not be well represented.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

or older Arri cameras

Shot with a 52 year old Arriflex 16S:

Arriflex 16S footage

Best,
-Tim

#5 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Yes, even non pin-registered cameras like Bolex or Filmo can make beautiful shots with acceptable steadiness (as long as you're not requiring rock-solid, video-like registration). Of greater importance to me is the caliber and condition of the lens. Does it focus sharply? Must you have a zoom, or can you get your shot with a fixed lens? Is the lens clear and are the coatings undamaged? Is a bit of "vintage" look appropriate to your production (lens flare, bokeh, vignetting on short lenses, etc)? I'm watching an old Hitchcock film on Hulu (Blackmail) with lots of vintage look due to the 1920's era Cooke lenses they used - and it looks, well, old.

#6 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

...I am curious if simply better operation or if a better lens was used, that the DP could attain just as good an image with a 416 as with a Krasnogorsk.

As Chris said, the $50,000 camera most likely has a great lens and an experienced DP operating it. Also new cameras have generally better accessories that make it easier - video assist, brighter viewfinder, accurate light meters, etc. But, I do think a skilled DP will know how to get the best from whatever gear they have. Here's a nice piece on YouTube that looks great despite the terrible compression - - according to the info this was shot on a spring-wound bolex with standard c-mount kern lenses.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Neither youtube nor vimeo can properly represent any of the formats or cameras in question. They are much too highly compressed and you're generally viewing them on a small screen.

#8 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

A camera is just a holder for film. The only way it affects the image is A: if there is something mechanically wrong B: The type of lens mount C: The shutter angle and D: The motor allowing for adjustable speeds.

Edited by Rob Vogt, 24 August 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#9 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

A camera is just a holder for film. : if there is something mechanically wrong

Of course, that could be a weakness in the design, such as a mechanism that is not capable of placing consetutive frames in the right spot.

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly