Thomas Chaves
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Grip
  • NY, NY

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi there.

I am looking to pick up a set of lights for my G&E production van. I am looking for a small light source that I can use to light actors while they are in cars (or other tight spaces).

Right now, I am deciding between a Litepanel Kit, the Kino Flo Miniflo kit, and a Lowel kit of sorts.

Does any have and pro's or con's on any of these kits? Also, which one do you get the most for your buck.

Cheers.
Thomas

#2 Ian Jackson

Ian Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student
  • Farnham, UK

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hey,

I've used the miniflo kit briefly and found that during an overcast day they produce little/no difference as a fill. However i presume the will perform well at night obviously, but im yet to try this.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Are you talking day or night? They're two totally different ballparks!

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hi there.

I am looking to pick up a set of lights for my G&E production van. I am looking for a small light source that I can use to light actors while they are in cars (or other tight spaces).

Right now, I am deciding between a Litepanel Kit, the Kino Flo Miniflo kit, and a Lowel kit of sorts.

Does any have and pro's or con's on any of these kits? Also, which one do you get the most for your buck.

Cheers.
Thomas

Here is an example of a Lite Panel. We used it both in the dark of a tunnel (this shot) and in overcast daytime exteriors. Great results. I highly recommend it.
driving008.jpg

#5 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Here is an example of a Lite Panel. We used it both in the dark of a tunnel (this shot) and in overcast daytime exteriors. Great results. I highly recommend it.

Chris, can you please describe the light setup here? What was the key light, the fill light, how much ambient light is in the shot, etc?

--
Jim

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Chris, can you please describe the light setup here? What was the key light, the fill light, how much ambient light is in the shot, etc?

--
Jim

there is one light only being used. It is a Lite Panel mini. It is placed up on the dash in the middle, aimed at the actors face. We used some diffusion on the light, can't remember how much or what kind. Everything else is ambient light. This is a jpeg from a HD master. Shot on fuji Eterna 250T S16, zeiss Super Speed 25mm.

#7 John Hoffler

John Hoffler
  • Sustaining Members
  • 132 posts
  • Film Loader
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

i recommend the lite panels as well. If you go under "In Production" to my post on "The Cost" i used the Lite Panels for my in-car shots during a bright sunny day.

#8 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Light Panels are great and there are also Rosco Litepads as well. They are only a 1/4" thick and so light they can be taped or velcroed in place. We sell lots of both.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider