Kevin Allen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi All~

Wondering if anyone has any experience, word of advice or work samples using ProRes HQ 24p for standard definition telecine (720 x 486)?

I've had many successful transfers to SD using FSFT (Lightpress), but could never dream of affording to upgrade to HD. Cinelicious (www.cinelicious.tv) offers what might to be an in between option with this ProRes format output for only $200/hr. While I understand that it's not HD, it should be considerable better than DV compression, right? I'm just not sure how much.

Could you drop this slightly better SD format into a HD timeline, export as HD and reap more benefits? Or is it not worth it and better/easier just staying in DV SD from beginning to end?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

DV is 8bit 4:1:1 5:1 compressed Pro-ResHQ is 10bit 4:2:2 I am not sure about the compression ratio but it is a more modern codec.

Up-Rezzed HD Pro-ResHQ transfers may technically not be "true" HD but I am running one right now and it looks damn good on a 24" HD monitor much much better than DV will ever look. I would suggest trying us (at Cinelab) or Cinelicious for uprezzed HD transfers you might not ever go back to crappy old DV again.

BTW our uprezzed transfers S8 are not on the web site yet but they are at $0.30/foot for Best light ($0.35/ft Scene to Scene) with a $125.00 minimum and a media management fee of $50.00/hr. based on film run time. We also do 16mm and 35mm 2K DPX scans now as well...

-Rob-

#3 Kent Kumpula

Kent Kumpula
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Sweden

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

I've had many successful transfers to SD using FSFT (Lightpress), but could never dream of affording to upgrade to HD.

I guess you need to find a place that can deliver HD at reasonable prices. ;) Our onelight transfers (or transfers with automatic exposure, you can choose) only cost "Telecine 1 will cost 4:00 SEK per meter film, with the exchange rate 20090420 one reel would cost €5.40" (quote from our webpage)

So ten reels would cost €54. Perhaps you can still dream of HD transfers? :)

If you feel the need to spend a little bit more you can choose "Telecine 2", ten reels would cost somewhere about €75. Best light/colorcorrected and supervised transfers. The exact price depends on how much time is needed for fiddling with exposure/colors. This only affects the price through the filesize, the price per meter is has fixed rate.

Read more about it on http://www.uppsalabi...glish/?page=999 , please read the webpage and the special terms.
The transfers are done with a FlashscanHD, to 1280x720 in ProRes. True native HD transfers, no uprezzing/scaling.

We have a few HD testclips online at http://www.uppsalabi...glish/?page=137
This 100D was transferred by us to a client a few weeks ago,
View on Vimeo

Please note: We cannot transfer negative films until the end of september, they need to update the firmware on the scanner in order to transfer negative films.

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Opal

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post