#1 Matt Jacobs

Matt Jacobs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I just shot a short film on 16 for my summer class here in NY. It was mostly exterior and I ran into some wide shots where the sun was high backlighting the landscape/subject I was shooting. Through researching the forums and asking some teachers I split the exposure. I had a 2 stops difference, I believe the background was a 22 and the shadow side was a 11. I set my lens at a 16/22 split underexposing my shadow side 1 1/2 stops. I'm a bit worried this was too much. I was shooting 250D rated 1/3 of a stop slower.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

You'll be totally fine. neg stock has a remarkable latitude. Personally i might've gone to 16 (if i had to. normally you want to err towards the middle of the len's F stop range to get the best performance) for safety as there's more room on neg in the highlights than the shadow, but i wouldn't worry too too much at all. Which 250D though? 7205, 7207, or the Fuji whose # escapes me?

#3 Matt Jacobs

Matt Jacobs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

You'll be totally fine. neg stock has a remarkable latitude. Personally i might've gone to 16 (if i had to. normally you want to err towards the middle of the len's F stop range to get the best performance) for safety as there's more room on neg in the highlights than the shadow, but i wouldn't worry too too much at all. Which 250D though? 7205, 7207, or the Fuji whose # escapes me?

Thanks. Its was the 7207 vision 3. I wish I had ND's to allow me to get to the best part of the lens but it was bare minimum equipment type deal. I was going to split the exposures right down the middle at a 16 but I figured I'd see what a little darker would look like plus I guess with 1/3 stop overexposure my negative is only about 1 stops under and then it will get printed down that third of a stop. Thanks

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

From all the curves, examples and my own experience on the V2 '05 I'd say you'll be fine. You can bring up the darks a bit if you need to in the telecine; don't worry so much. And believe me, I know what it's like to be working without NDs sometimes. I had the joy of shooting a T4 alleyway that looked out on a T45/64 white wall in harsh sunlight... yeah, that kinda killed the film...(05)

#5 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Film Lighting

Not sure that link will work (sent from iPhone).

If not, get a copy of Film Lighting by Malkiewicz. (amazon.com)

Btw. Why were you shooting so closed down? Why not add NDs and or a Pola to get you near 4 or 5.6?

Opal

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc