Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hello All,

Given my limited experience with color film, 7201 50D in this case, I have a question:

I'm going to see a AAA baseball team next week and all I have is 7201 (50D) film. I believe it starts at 7 and will end by 10. So the light conditions I'm guessing will be transitioning from dusk to dark. Is it possible to get decent results with 50D while under baseball stadium lighting. I'm assuming I'll need some kind of filter (85 maybe?), but then I'll lose at least another stop although I do have some fast lenses. To further complicate things, I'm sure there will be some time when there will be a little ambient sunlight AND stadium lighting.

Any recommendations for this? If it's not possible to get good results, I do have some 7231 black and white I could use to get a little more speed (80/64).

Thanks as always.
Tom

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Tom,
the stadium lights i've seen are generally "bluish" so a D balanced stock it pretty ideal for it. I'd not recomment a 50D though, but rather a 250 (7207/7205) for it and/or maybe a 200T with an 85 filter. It's hard to tell without having a meter out there and knowing exactly what kind of lights they're working with (could be a lot of T heads strung together, but it's generally a metal-halide type light as it's got a better watts to lumen performance)

#3 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

I doubt it. You'll probably need 500t .. you (may) get away with 200t but be ready to write PUSH on the cans.... don't worry about the 85 filter.... just add it in telecine or use 250D. Remember, you probably don't want to be rolling at a 1.4.

#4 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Hi-

I did something similar awhile back, we had a number of night scenes to shoot on a nice new ballfield (AAA), with great lights (made by Musco). Shooting 5218 at asa 400, the best exposure I could find on the field was 2.8/4 split, but you'll find that even the best lit fields have very spotty levels, and great swaths of the area will fall to 2.0 and well below.

Color temp wise we just shot clean and corrected out the minor blue tinge and very minor green spike (these were incredibly clean lights).

ASA 50 just won't cut it, even on the best field.

#5 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info folks. I was afraid that was the case. I tried to get some 100T, but they didn't have any aminima rolls of it when I ordered. I had to order at least 9.

Tom

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets