#1 Ed Blackburn

Ed Blackburn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

Hi there. This is my first post to the forum as it looks like just the right place to find some much needed advice.

I own a Sankyo Super MF 404 - I've only used it once (several years ago) and it's in excellent condition.

Sankyo Super MF 404

A friend of mine has asked me to get a few minutes worth of colour shots on his wedding day in a few weeks time. Nothing special, just some nice shots of him and his bride outside the church after the wedding. The mother of the bride has already banned filming inside the church <_< so it'll be outside shooting, in daylight. We will be in Scotland and the weather could be anything from bright sunshine (like it is at the moment) to overcast torrential rains!!

Anyway, I'm nervous about selecting the right kind of film for the job.

First off we have the Kodak EKTACHROME 64T Colour Reversal which seems to work best in bright daylight and can't cope very well with low light (am I right on this?). So that seems like a bit of a risk to take.

Then we have Kodak VISION2 200T Colour Negative which seems to cope better with low light and overcast daylight. I asked a UK stockist about using this and they said it could do the job, but may jam in the camera because of the thicker emulsion.

Basically, it'd be great to know which kind of film would work best with the Sankyo in the variable conditions I've mentioned. I'm not very technical when it comes to film speeds etc, so any pointers would be much appreciated. The Sankyo Super MF 404 seems to have a lot of auto functions, and I'd like to use these if at all possible as I'm wary of going manual and messing everything up!

Thanks for your help and I hope I haven't been to confusing or naive!!

Cheers.

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

Hi there. This is my first post to the forum as it looks like just the right place to find some much needed advice.

I own a Sankyo Super MF 404 - I've only used it once (several years ago) and it's in excellent condition.

Sankyo Super MF 404

A friend of mine has asked me to get a few minutes worth of colour shots on his wedding day in a few weeks time. Nothing special, just some nice shots of him and his bride outside the church after the wedding. The mother of the bride has already banned filming inside the church <_< so it'll be outside shooting, in daylight. We will be in Scotland and the weather could be anything from bright sunshine (like it is at the moment) to overcast torrential rains!!

Anyway, I'm nervous about selecting the right kind of film for the job.

First off we have the Kodak EKTACHROME 64T Colour Reversal which seems to work best in bright daylight and can't cope very well with low light (am I right on this?). So that seems like a bit of a risk to take.

Then we have Kodak VISION2 200T Colour Negative which seems to cope better with low light and overcast daylight. I asked a UK stockist about using this and they said it could do the job, but may jam in the camera because of the thicker emulsion.

Basically, it'd be great to know which kind of film would work best with the Sankyo in the variable conditions I've mentioned. I'm not very technical when it comes to film speeds etc, so any pointers would be much appreciated. The Sankyo Super MF 404 seems to have a lot of auto functions, and I'd like to use these if at all possible as I'm wary of going manual and messing everything up!

Thanks for your help and I hope I haven't been to confusing or naive!!

Cheers.

I would recommend either the 7217 or 7219, 200T and 500T respectfully. Depends on the lighting, but probably the 200T will be the one to choose. It might jam up every so often, so I have found that simply removing the cart and immediately replacing it solves the jamming. The 64T will be grainier, believe it or not, than the 200T or even well exposed 500T. If grain isn't a problem (you might want this) then go for it. Ektachrome gives an authentic home movie look that is often very appealing for weddings. You can also shoot black and white, which comes in either 200 asa or 100 asa. I recommend the 100 for outdoor, it is called Plus X 7265. The color negative will be the most fool proof as it has the greatest exposure latitude. Your camera should expose either the 200T or 500T properly, just remember to use the internal 85 filter.

#3 Ed Blackburn

Ed Blackburn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

I would recommend either the 7217 or 7219, 200T and 500T respectfully. Depends on the lighting, but probably the 200T will be the one to choose. It might jam up every so often, so I have found that simply removing the cart and immediately replacing it solves the jamming. The 64T will be grainier, believe it or not, than the 200T or even well exposed 500T. If grain isn't a problem (you might want this) then go for it. Ektachrome gives an authentic home movie look that is often very appealing for weddings. You can also shoot black and white, which comes in either 200 asa or 100 asa. I recommend the 100 for outdoor, it is called Plus X 7265. The color negative will be the most fool proof as it has the greatest exposure latitude. Your camera should expose either the 200T or 500T properly, just remember to use the internal 85 filter.

That's excellent advice. Thank you!! I'll go for the 200T and try and get some test shots done in advance.

I think the internal filter is automatic. I'll double check my manual to see, but does that sound right?

Thanks again.

#4 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

That's excellent advice. Thank you!! I'll go for the 200T and try and get some test shots done in advance.

I think the internal filter is automatic. I'll double check my manual to see, but does that sound right?

Thanks again.

Do keep in mind that if you shoot negative film, then you lose the options of cheap and very cheap telecine. and transfering just 1 or 2 rolls of neg can be quite expensive. And that if you are testing your camera, its better to test it with reversal film so you can see what it is doing (if the exposure is wrong in reversal, its wrong and you can see that. Neg is more forgiving of errors ... but from a test point of view, it also masks errors more).
richard

Technodolly

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Opal

Glidecam