#1 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Anybody replaced their ground glass on an ACL or is that a tech-only operation? I basically have two cameras and want to swap out the ground glass because one has S-16 markings. I am building one camera to rule them all!

#2 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

Anybody replaced their ground glass on an ACL or is that a tech-only operation? I basically have two cameras and want to swap out the ground glass because one has S-16 markings. I am building one camera to rule them all!

Hi Jason, The short answer to your question is yes, replacing a ground glass on an ACL is a very finicky technical operation. It's easy to take it out, and if you were to replace the same gg, you may get away with very carefully marking the setting of the gg before taking it off, but I wouldn't swap another one in and expect it to be in focus.

And of course, if your gg is not in the right position (and we are talking microns here), then you will see a different image in your viewfinder than what is imprinted on the film... Big Problem !

#3 Jason Hinkle (RIP)

Jason Hinkle (RIP)
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hi Jason, The short answer to your question is yes, replacing a ground glass on an ACL is a very finicky technical operation.

thanks borris - i talked to bernie about it and he said pretty much the same thing, the internal ACL parts were hand-tuned at the factory so they don't usually work as drop-in replacements from one camera to another. i don't plan on attempting it!

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc