3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

I am working on a dialogue edit for a feature. The WAV files from the production audio are 16bit/44khz

Is this sampling rate acceptable for feature production audio? I would think 24bit/48kHz at minimum. Maybe I am crazy.

Should I upsample to 24/48 before I shuffle off to ProTools?

#2 Christopher Kennedy Alpiar

Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Dayton, OH

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

I always try and work with 48k/24b. But if the files you got to work with are 44.1/16, there is no point to upsampling. Upsampling does not add anything good to the audio, keep in mind what it means.

Analog audio, as we know, is a pure wave, and it can be realized visually as that wave. Digital audio is recording points along that wave and using an algorithm to dither between those points to re-create a wave. Down-sampling is useful to create smaller files, but we lose quality because we are using less points along the wave to store data to recreate it later. Without having the original analog signal as analog or having a hi rez file, there is no way to recover the lost points when downsampling. Therefore upsampling is a useless task that will just add points to the wave based on the computer guesstimation and will not add quality or recover lost quality. The only reason ever to upsample, is if you have a chance to mix the lower grade audio with higher grade, or if you are recording material on top of it. So for instance I get some tracks at 16b 44.1k and I am going to overdub some tracks to later mix with them. I know I can record at a higher resolution and I should do so (at least MY tracks will have the higher original rez). So then I would upsample the 16b 44.1k to what I am going to record at, and do my overdubs at the new, higher rez.

Hope that helps

#3 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Chris hits the main points. Although in my experience it's requested and/or preferable for the final deliverables to be at least 48/16 (although 24 is better) as 48k is used for video. 44.1k is CDs and music. Although it's true there's no difference in quality if you're starting from a lower rez.

Edited by Alex Donkle, 17 August 2009 - 12:31 AM.

#4 Patrick Nuse

Patrick Nuse
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I am working on a dialogue edit for a feature. The WAV files from the production audio are 16bit/44khz

Is this sampling rate acceptable for feature production audio? I would think 24bit/48kHz at minimum. Maybe I am crazy.

Should I upsample to 24/48 before I shuffle off to ProTools?

Should be OK as long as it's not over processed. If you are going to do any effects or processing of any kind I would upsample the files first. you are less likely to degrade the sound during processing.

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera