#1 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

In a year I will be receiving an Associates of Science from the Art Institutes of LA. It's like a trade school or technical, like ITT tech. I was wondering if it be possible to transfer and finish school in one of the USC schools. Like UCLA or USC for my Bachelors. I'd probably have to take a couple of classes though before pursuing admissions.

#2 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

I know a lot about film btw. If anybody need a PA on set I'd do it for free

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

If you want to do film and are already out in the cali area, why not just work on shoots? You can learn just as much if not more than you will in film school (i'd be happy to shoot you over a list of my old syllabuses and required readings/watchings) but with the added joy of not spending thousands a year (to my credit i went for my BA/BS for free basically so i figured might as well).

#4 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

If you want to do film and are already out in the cali area, why not just work on shoots? You can learn just as much if not more than you will in film school (i'd be happy to shoot you over a list of my old syllabuses and required readings/watchings) but with the added joy of not spending thousands a year (to my credit i went for my BA/BS for free basically so i figured might as well).

It's hard getting on a gig of paid shoots. Seems now these days all they want is a reel and resume. Does student work count to be put onto a resume? Ya I'll be happy to take a look at those syllabus.

geovideo@live.com

Thank You

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Sure student work counts, it's still work, isn't it? Just when asked about it, if they ask if it's student work no need to lie about it. Granted, you'll have to "intern" a bit to build up not only your resume/reel but also your network-- which in reality is how you get gigs. But the question is, should I do free gigs or go to school? They each have pros and cons. Even a free day or two as a PA could be quite beneficial to getting to be a paid pa, to a camera pa etc etc.. It's a process, and it differs for everyone.

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

It's hard getting on a gig of paid shoots. Seems now these days all they want is a reel and resume.

What kind of work are you trying to get? PA work doesn't require a reel. If you're trying to get DP or operator (since you've listed yourself as an operator) work then they'd want a reel. It's very nearly impossible to get DP or operator work without professional experience. It shouldn't be too hard to get some work as a PA, especially if you're willing to work for free for a couple days.

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

The Slider

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post