#1 Johnny Dale

Johnny Dale

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

I'm giving my website a facelift, a complete redo. I'm wondering what is the best format (size/compression) to use for online reels. I don't want them to load too slowly but I also want the quality to be there. I would like the viewer to be able to at least have a 6"x4" window to view. I'm assuming some medium res flash is going to look the best but I could be wrong.

Thanks in Advance

JD

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:59 AM

I think in the past the perceived wisdom has been Flash for greatest potential audience and Quicktime for quality. The nice thing about Quicktime (well at least the Quicktime player) is you can frame-by-frame it, where as with Flash you don't really have that amount of control with any of the players available for it.

The best of both worlds would be providing the Flash embedded video on your site and a link to a downloadable Quicktime.

As far as frame-size and compression goes it's probably something your going to test yourself. As far as bitrate, framesize and compression go I've been following the compression guidelines on Vimeo and then making adjustments from there - trying as much as possible to maximise the bitrate/filesize/quality of the movie.

Visual Products

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine