Patrick Horan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Warning - :ph34r:

Now this is my first post here so don’t be to harsh about it. If it needs moved to another section I am sorry. I realize this is a very long post however I couldn’t think of a way of shrinking it without losing details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself/Introduction –

OK to begin with let me introduce myself. My name is Patrick Horan I am currently working with a company in Lancaster County known as NWEMS 74 inc. Every year we gather the local fire departments, police, and go to the Elizabethtown Area High School to perform a mock crash.
This crash has been going on for about seven years. It was started in response to the staggering number of prom night DUI deaths. I believe the total number of deaths prior to this was about 17 over a five year span. Once we started this performance the number of deaths dropped to 0!
This is where I come in. I was hired approximately three years ago. When I came on I was quickly established as the computer wiz the station needed. When it came to the Crash time I was asked to film the project and make a video to present to everyone involved as well as the entire student body.
My first attempt was a flop of a video. Most people felt it was an excellent video and were proud to finally have one. I just felt it was trash however as my first video I did learn many many many useful techniques and lessons.
The second year I upgraded my camera, I am now using a HD camera with an SD card as opposed to a SD mini-DV one. Make life a lot easier to bring to a computer. This video came out infinitely better however I still felt there was much I was missing or could have done better on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question -

Now what I would like from you is how would you film this situation or any tips on better filming techniques.

The situation -

What is presented to the students is two vehicles that appear to have been crashed in a partial head on collision. There are other senior students in both vehicles. The passenger of one vehicle is usually hanging through the windshield (We do take every precaution to ensure no one is hurt) and another appears to have been ejected from the vehicle and landed several feet from the vehicle (Moullage is used to create the injuries).
The driver is able to exit the vehicle and stumbles to appear as though he is intoxicated. The last remaining student in the car is entrapped in the back seat of the vehicle. Police with arrival shortly after the driver gets out of the vehicle and proceed to size up the situation. They then proceed to get the driver and ultimately arrest him.
EMS, Fire, and the coroner (Dr.Newman) arrive all around the same time. They proceed to evaluate each pt separately in different groups. FD moves on to stabilize the vehicle and after all other pt’s are declared DOA they move onto the cutting the car apart in order to extricate the girl safely. It usually ends with the roof coming off and the student being lifted out the back.
The student is then taken to a helicopter on standby and placed inside though not flown.

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc