Photo

Glasses, contacts.....or nothing at all!!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chris reynolds

chris reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Afternoon

After visiting my opticians yesterday for an eye test i was told that i had an 'Astigmatism' of the eye and that wearing glasses for reading and looking at computer screens would be beneficial. No problem there B) . Its my 1st eye test in nearly 20 years and as im reaching my 39th birthday soon i'm glad i got it done.
While discussing with the optician the best course of action, he said not to bother with daily contct lenses and ruled out wearing the glasses for work. I explained to him that most of my days are spent looking at screens (either down a viewfinder or a monitor) and that i needed an 'ease-of-use' solution. He was pretty adament, 'Dont bother getting contacts and no need to use glasses for camerwork (in my case)'.

No, i dont expect anyone on this website to know more than a qualified Optician (although posting on her does throw up loads of suprises) and im not asking for anyone to give me an answer for my particular situation. But, has anyone been in a similar sitution. What worked best for you?

Oh, and just before anyone asks..its not out of vanity that i dont want to wear glasses. I've a face made for radio and proud of it! :D

Apologies in advance for posting this in the wrong Forum topic

#2 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Afternoon

After visiting my opticians yesterday for an eye test i was told that i had an 'Astigmatism' of the eye and that wearing glasses for reading and looking at computer screens would be beneficial. No problem there B) . Its my 1st eye test in nearly 20 years and as im reaching my 39th birthday soon i'm glad i got it done.
While discussing with the optician the best course of action, he said not to bother with daily contct lenses and ruled out wearing the glasses for work. I explained to him that most of my days are spent looking at screens (either down a viewfinder or a monitor) and that i needed an 'ease-of-use' solution. He was pretty adament, 'Dont bother getting contacts and no need to use glasses for camerwork (in my case)'.

No, i dont expect anyone on this website to know more than a qualified Optician (although posting on her does throw up loads of suprises) and im not asking for anyone to give me an answer for my particular situation. But, has anyone been in a similar sitution. What worked best for you?

Oh, and just before anyone asks..its not out of vanity that i dont want to wear glasses. I've a face made for radio and proud of it! :D

Apologies in advance for posting this in the wrong Forum topic

I have a similar issue: Astigmatism. While I don't notice that I'm not wearing my glasses in daylight, I really do need them to see critical focus.

If you're operating a movie camera, it's a real pain to wear glasses, and unfortunately, the eyepiece diopter adjustment will not correct for astigmatism. What I've done is to have some round lenses made of my right eye prescription to place into the viewfinder cup. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can come up with. I've tried contacts, but then found I needed reading glasses when wearing them :angry:

The drawback of the eyeglass in the eyepiece is that it must be rotated precisely for the astigmatism correction to work. The other challenge is eyepiece fogging. Unfortunately, wearing glasses can let some light into the viewfinder and it can sometimes find it's way to the film.

With video eyepieces, light leaks are not a worry and I wear my glasses without problem.

My ophthalmologist had told me not to wear glasses, that I didn't need them. But I had trouble driving at night, and I could not see when a movie was really in focus. When I got my first pair at the age of 25 I was shocked by how sharp the world was! And in 3D! I had thought normal vision was what I had grown up with...

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab