Canon 7D Announced

#2 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

The Canon 7D has a 720p mode that can shoot at 60 frames per second.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:01 AM

The Canon 7D has a 720p mode that can shoot at 60 frames per second.

Does that make it one of the best cameras in existance?

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

at last 25fps!!

What I couldn't find out through that article is whether you have to still freeze the aperture.....?

I think the issue of the difficulty in the practicality of pulling focus is still apparent...

#5 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

you cloud always use lenses with Manuel f/stop

#6 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

you cloud always use lenses with Manuel f/stop

but the 5d would only allow you to shoot moving images in auto mode.....has it changed with the 7d?

#7 Justin Hawkins

Justin Hawkins

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

at last 25fps!!

What I couldn't find out through that article is whether you have to still freeze the aperture.....?

I think the issue of the difficulty in the practicality of pulling focus is still apparent...

The article mentioned 24fps. Great stuff!

#8 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

Given that they came out with a firmwire update for the 5D M2 that allows you to manually select shutter speed and aperture for the video, I would assume not; why would they make the same mistake twice? Then again...maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

#9 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Given that they came out with a firmwire update for the 5D M2 that allows you to manually select shutter speed and aperture for the video, I would assume not; why would they make the same mistake twice? Then again...maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

" Users can set exposure and frame rate – with options for 24 fps to create that cinematic feel."

whatever that means...

#10 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

but the 5d would only allow you to shoot moving images in auto mode.....has it changed with the 7d?

Last hing I heard, the newest firmware upgrade for the 5D allows full manual controls of the camera in video mode, dunno about the 7D.

#11 Jean Dodge

Jean Dodge
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:12 AM

The small APC size of the sensor means this camera is not really a step forward for digital cinematography. Still, the addition of 24p/25p using the same processor chip seems to suggest that canon could soon produce a full frame model of some sort that is capable of the same useful frame rate. The 7D however uses two chips in a "dual processor" arrangement. The 5D uses only one processor.

Looking forward to the day when all companies get on the larger sensor bandwagon. The ability of the 5D to shoot in low light is astounding. Almost everything else about the camera in the context of digital cinematography is frustrating however.

This camera is a strong competitor for the nikon D90 - it shoots full HD and is in a similar price range, as I understand it.

With luck, maybe this camera proves that the 5d will be able to shoot 24/25p with a firmware update. Any guesses? it doesn't seem as though the task of shooting 24p would be split between two processors when one is capable of handling a faster rate. What DOES the second process do, anyway - is it possible to determine, or speculate?

#12 Jeremy M Lundborg

Jeremy M Lundborg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:35 AM

Still recording to h.264?

Not interested.

#13 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Aha!
It was prior to that firmware update that I lost interest then.......I retract my comment.

Saul - from what you and Elliot say I should imagine that manual control would come as standard on the 7d.

Does anyone know if it this 7d has inherited the 5dII's rolling shutter problem?

#14 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

The small APC size of the sensor means this camera is not really a step forward for digital cinematography.

The size this particular APS-C sensor (21.95 mm × 16.00 mm) is roughly equivalent to 4-perf 35mm image size (22.3 x 14.9 mm), though most APS-C sensors are size-dependent brand to brand. Why is bigger better anyway? What is wrong with smaller sensors / image areas? Does every project need to be shot on S-35 sized-imagers?

Does every camera released these days must be "a step forward" in digital camera technology, whatever that means, to be a useful camera?

Since the 5D mk II's chip size is Vista Vision-sized, must the new Canon offering be IMAX-sized to be a useful camera and "a step forward in digital cinematography"?

Help me understand, please.

#15 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Bigger is BETTER....apparently

#16 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

The size this particular APS-C sensor (21.95 mm × 16.00 mm) is roughly equivalent to 4-perf 35mm image size (22.3 x 14.9 mm) . . .

Sorry, I inverted the numbers, it should read:

The size this particular APS-C sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm) is roughly equivalent to 4-perf 35mm image size (21.95 × 16.00 mm)

#17 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Bigger is BETTER....apparently

Hey Serge,

It says here these cams have manual controls:

"The exposure of the movie can be controlled in Manual mode allowing full control of shutter speeds and apertures. It is possible to select frame rates from: 30 (29.97), 25, and 24 (23.976), with 60 (59.94) and 50 available at 720p. ISO can be set automatically or manually in the range (100-6400) and is expandable to 12800. EOS 7D also allows users to trim and cut their movies."

http://www.dpreview....5canoneos7d.asp

I would imagine the rolling shutter is still a problem, as most CMOS chip cameras (such as this one) suffer from it to some degree or another. . . Mere speculation, of course.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 02 September 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#18 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

What is wrong with smaller sensors / image areas? Does every project need to be shot on S-35 sized-imagers?

Well, when you examine a digital image taken with an APS chip @ 400 ISO and see that it looks virtually equivilant to a full frame digital image taken @ 1600 ISO...you wonder why you ever used the former to begin with; at least that was my experience when I upgraded my Canon Rebel XTi to a 5D. Also you have to take into account the myriad of amateurs concerned with the all-mighty "CROP FACTOR!" :rolleyes:

#19 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hey Serge,

It says here these cams have manual controls:

"The exposure of the movie can be controlled in Manual mode allowing full control of shutter speeds and apertures. It is possible to select frame rates from: 30 (29.97), 25, and 24 (23.976), with 60 (59.94) and 50 available at 720p. ISO can be set automatically or manually in the range (100-6400) and is expandable to 12800. EOS 7D also allows users to trim and cut their movies."

http://www.dpreview....5canoneos7d.asp

I would imagine the rolling shutter is still a problem, as most CMOS chip cameras (such as this one) suffer from it to some degree or another. . . Mere speculation, of course.

completely missed that....feeling a bit dumb right now.
Thanks for the heads up Saul. ;)

#20 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

The size this particular APS-C sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm) is roughly equivalent to 4-perf 35mm image size (21.95 × 16.00 mm)

I think you probably have the 4 perf Academy numbers. The 7D sensor is a little smaller than Super-35 4 perf, which is 24 x 18 mm. That's good, since you could put a PL mount on it and use all the S-35 glass that's out there.

-- J.S.

Technodolly

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post