#1 Amanda Horton

Amanda Horton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I just took a course this summer at NYFA for broadcast journalism but then realized how much I enjoyed movie making & shooting rather than News. I need help with figuring out what colleges to look at [East coast & Middle states only please] as well as any programs I should take or any connections I can make now. I live near the city, so I have the access to just about everything. I have a friend who is an editor whose been helping me and I have several acquaintances in the business [Grassroots films & have some connection with WWE]. I need some help with going in the right direction school wise. Should I stay near a big city? Or go to a school that has a good program & hope that the prestige will help me get noticed earlier. I'm a girl so I know it's going to be harder for me since this is a man's world, but I'm willing to push my work and I've been trying to buy a camera to shot some stuff I've visioned.

Please contact me either on here or email me at thefallofamanda@hotmail.com

Your help is very appreciated!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

I always say it's more about your own tenacity than any degree and even, perhaps your work. It's a business based on attrition; surviving long enough to build up the work and experience to move on. If you can do that what school you went to doesn't matter as much.
That being said, I can't help but recommend the school I went to down in Philadelphia, Temple University. Phila's cool, cheaper to live in, Temple is pretty affordable as a school and the program is very nice and mixes theory with practice to a fair degree.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Nobody is going to hire you because of where you went to school. Wherever you decide on, make as many good films as you can make. Do more than you have to, get better than you have to in order to pass your classes. If you get better than a lot of the people in your class and have the bullheadedness to keep working, then you'll have a career.

Check out RIT in Rochester, NY. I went there and still feel really good about their program. You can tailor your education to be pretty specialized in cinematography rather than a general "film" degree. I just got good enough to be the "go-to-guy" when people were making a film so I shot a lot of short films- around 45 in 4 years ranging from 5 to 30 minutes in final length, and on formats from pixelvision (!) to S16 and 35mm film. The vast majority of films I shot were over and above what I needed to do for classes.

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hey Amanda,

As already said, forget about the fantasy that going to the best film school will get you noticed earlier.
This is an industry that is a hard slog!

The only benefits that you'll get from your film school is:
1) use of equipment
2) future contacts
3) friendships

Don't mean to rain on your parade but its better that you get it earlier rather than later.

Good luck in your decision!

Edited by Serge Teulon, 02 September 2009 - 12:22 PM.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Technodolly

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC