Martin Burillo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi.
I am thinking on shooting my next project on RED. I am not a digital lover, in fact, there have been only about 3 movies shot in HD that I could digest without having personal problems with the textures, colors and specially the depth of field. But still, I am interested in using this camera, cause to be realistic, here in the third world, celluloid is a commodity most of us can’t afford.

So, my question is, which lenses would give me the best film like quality? I have always worked with Zeiss, and love them, but recently I discover that District 9 was shot with the S4 primes and Angenieux zooms, so I don’t know which to choose.

Any recommendations?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

They're different looks. Zeiss lenses are generally very, very sharp. This makes the falloff to out of focus seem much faster and they sometimes appear to have less depth of field than other lenses. They also tend to render a bit cold. Cookes are a bit warmer and ever-so-slightly softer, in a good way.

I'm in love with S4s. You should do some searches on this site and read about the various series of lenses available and make up your own mind.

#3 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

I recently did a product shot for a bourbon company on the Red with the S4's and have to agree with Chris's remarks.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

I really like a Cooke lens all around; though there are times the clinical look of Zeiss really works.

#5 Martin Burillo

Martin Burillo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yes, Zeiss are pretty effective. Although I haven’t really read or herd of anyone use them with the RED. I guess most RED users pick the comfortable choice and shoot with the RED lenses. But I think the S4’s are the good choice, maybe with an Agenieux zoom, that seemed to work like a charm on District 9.

#6 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Most people shoot on Zeiss Super Speeds since they are cheaper than S4's and Ultra primes. They are a 1.3, but they are not as sharp as at 1.3 as a 2/2.8. My favorite lenses are ultra primes, but that's dependant on the project. I'm sure if you search this forum you can find tons of write-ups/opinions on what each lens looks like, flares like...etc

Jamie

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

CineLab

Technodolly

Opal

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks