Photo

Reccomendations for Boom Mike under $500.00???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marshall Wiemer

Marshall Wiemer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hey Guys:
I have used Sen. 415's/ 416's for over 25 years and was very happy with the dynamic range, pattern, reach, wind sensitivity, color, and ruggedness. But now I teach film and need to buy a boom mic for the school and can't spend over $500, any suggestions? Of course I would like it to have all of the attributes of my Senheissers, it could have a wider pattern for the less experienced boom operators; something like the old Sen. 405 would be nice.

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:31 AM

Hey Guys:
I have used Sen. 415's/ 416's for over 25 years and was very happy with the dynamic range, pattern, reach, wind sensitivity, color, and ruggedness. But now I teach film and need to buy a boom mic for the school and can't spend over $500, any suggestions? Of course I would like it to have all of the attributes of my Senheissers, it could have a wider pattern for the less experienced boom operators; something like the old Sen. 405 would be nice.

Hi, Marshall.

You might a few responses here, but in case you didn't know about them, I'll point you toward where the Sound Guys hang out:
SOUND LINKS

http://www.coffeyint...hpbb2/ramps.php - RAMPS, Sound Newsgroup

http://www.coffeyint...hpbb2/index.php - Sound Forum

http://audiotuts.com...fessional-sound - How to Process for an Amazing Professional Sound

All of these links and more for other on and off-set jobs can be found in the Forums at http://www.realfilmcareer.com

#3 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

Well...

I hate to bring it up since it is above your budget, but the Rode NTG-3 is widely known as basically a MKH416 copy with a slightly wider pattern for novice boom ops and much cheaper. $700. You may be able to find a used one, but it isn't that old of a mic.

The best deal in beginner sound is the "Location Sound Package 4" at DV Creator
http://www.dvcreator...-3-shotgun-mic/
NTG-3, Blimp, boom pole, 30' cable for $1k.

The Rode NTG-2 is pretty decent and a good deal, but a definite step down. Avoid the Senn ME66/K6 (terrible mic in most conditions. Their are much better deals.)

And couple other places to get advice...
http://www.jwsound.net/SMF/ (Jeff Wexler's board)
http://www.dvxuser.c...isplay.php?f=29 (dvxuser.com, with a pretty decent number of pros in the audio section)

Edited by Alex Donkle, 10 September 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#4 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Avoid the Senn ME66/K6 (terrible mic in most conditions. Their are much better deals.)

Under which conditions does the ME66 not perform?

Considering updating my boom package.

#5 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

Under which conditions does the ME66 not perform?

Considering updating my boom package.

It's got a hot output, so it's an issue on a lot of cameras (especially problematic on the DVX)
And it's off-axis response makes it the worst shotgun that I've ever tried indoors. (Few shotguns can handle many interiors, but the ME66 is especially bad in this regard)
And there are simply a lot better values in the same price range imho. AT 4073a stands out in my mind.

Edited by Alex Donkle, 12 September 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#6 John L Moore III

John L Moore III

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

I picked up an "open-box" Rode NTG-3 for $479 a couple of weeks ago & am quite pleased... I sold my ME66 to buy it. I was slightly dissatisfied with the sound of the ME66 & was quite impressed with the NTG-3 after using it on a friend's shoot.

You might also consider the AKG CK93 Hypercardioid Capsule & SE300B Power Module combo: $429 @ B&H. While the CK93 excells at indoor dialogue, it performs quite well outdoors as long as you can keep it close (within 2-3 feet). I've also added a Rode Dead Kitten windsock over the AKG foam windscreen for slight wind... You would want to add the Rycote 5cm Softie for windy conditions.

John Moore
Sound @ Flying Monkey Studio

#7 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

NTG-3, Blimp, boom pole, 30' cable for $1k.

The Rode NTG-2 is pretty decent and a good deal, but a definite step down. Avoid the Senn ME66/K6 (terrible mic in most conditions. Their are much better deals.)

Hi Alex (or anyone else),

Have you used the Rode blimp? I've got an NTG-2 with a ($50) dead cat wind screen and it still doesn't do a very good job of cutting wind. Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks,
Tom

#8 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hi Alex (or anyone else),

Have you used the Rode blimp? I've got an NTG-2 with a ($50) dead cat wind screen and it still doesn't do a very good job of cutting wind. Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks,
Tom

Yup, I've used it and it works great. Blimps work much, much better than other wind solutions. And the Rode Blimp does a great job for not much money.

#9 Joe Giambrone

Joe Giambrone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

I found one test online comparing sound between RodeNTG3 and Senn 416. I don't have the link, but I definitely preferred the 416. I'd rather rent one of those than have to shoot on the Rode.

#10 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

This Boom might be available... just remember it is not always the equipment, but the operator of the equipment that makes it sing.

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineLab