#1 Curt Wilkinson

Curt Wilkinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

I'm looking to sell an Aaton A-minina that is in mint condition. It has one mag / power base / Visual Products video assist / 4.5" 15mm rods The kit includes four prime lenses Optar Illumina 9.5mm / 12mm / 16mm/ 25mm

Wondering how I might determine a fair price.

[attachment=5645:aminima.jpg]

email: curt.wilkinson@moody.edu

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Wondering how I might determine a fair price.

It's kinda "what the market will bear" and right now, that's not much. The market for 16mm camera gear, even Super 16, has never been worse. Blame it on all the prosumer HD cameras that are flooding the market.

I picked up a very nice Aaton XTR with two mags, batteries, rods, PL mount, wooden grip, etc., for $5500. Like I said, the market has really tanked.

Might try to sell the camera and glass separately.

Best,
-Tim

#3 Curt Wilkinson

Curt Wilkinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Tim,
I've thought about selling the lenses separately, but wonder if that leaves me with a camera no one wants. I know PL mount lenses are being used on HDSLR's, Red cameras, etc.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Tim,
I've thought about selling the lenses separately, but wonder if that leaves me with a camera no one wants. I know PL mount lenses are being used on HDSLR's, Red cameras, etc.

Looks like you are part of the trend yourself.

Never heard of an HDSLR. Pretty sure you have to shoot HDR with any camera with multiple frames of under, overexposure, no?

I'd want the camera, but I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars on it, unless I were my own production company or something.

Why did you buy a very specialized, expensive camera like this to begin with? Rental makes a lot of sense unless you are using cameras on a daily basis.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

Never heard of an HDSLR. Pretty sure you have to shoot HDR with any camera with multiple frames of under, overexposure, no?

I think he means cameras like the 5DmkII. DSLRs that people are getting HD video out of.

#6 Curt Wilkinson

Curt Wilkinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Karl,
Actually bought the camera because rental fees were so high. I'm making three films for my PhD, but funding has never come through.
Ideally I'd love to shoot the projects on film, but hard to buy stock, develop and transfer without the $$$$'s.

Google HDSLR, better yet look at some of the images they're producing...

#7 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

I think he means cameras like the 5DmkII. DSLRs that people are getting HD video out of.

OK, thanks for the tip guys.

Never heard the 5D Mark II refered to in that fashion.

#8 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

I picked up a very nice Aaton XTR with two mags, batteries, rods, PL mount, wooden grip, etc., for $5500. Like I said, the market has really tanked.

Wow! That is encouraging. I'm interested in picking up an A-Minima or XTR if the price is right.

#9 Lenny Manfred

Lenny Manfred

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:03 AM

Wow! That is encouraging. I'm interested in picking up an A-Minima or XTR if the price is right.

a similar package, without the lenses, sold on ebay for $6,100 last month. it included a few more things:

A-Minima Camera (S/N: 010) w/ Power Base (S/N: PB20) and integrated video tap (S/N: V5014)

(2) 250 Ft. Magazines (S/N: AM249; 025)

(4) 3V Lithium Batteries

i myself want to get a a-minima to play with, but waiting until i find one with a price makes that makes sense for me. the problem is that s16 is barely working these days, so to buy one of these would be a purchase of love, not business.

lennywood@mac.com

#10 Eli Arenson

Eli Arenson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

I just picked up a modified s16 LTR with 72fps capability, 2 zeiss primes, 2 XTR mags, video-tap, three batteries, adaptors, mattebox, all in a very neat and tidy flight case. 5500$
i would say for the a-minima you could range around the 12k w/ lenses. maybe it'll go for a bit more. it's cheap, but it's just going to drop more i'm afraid.

Edited by Eli Arenson, 26 February 2010 - 05:59 PM.

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Opal

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera