Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

Hello,

I've read in the Sticky about anamorphics that they all perform best around 4-5.6 or closed about 2 stopd from full aperture but the new sets of anamorphics can now go to nearly T2.0 . So do you get a usable image if you use them full opened ?
And when you open them up is it just this "curved focus" thing showing up or are there any other distorsions that I should be worying about ?

Is there a difference between square and round fronts anamoprhic lenses ?

I'm considering buying some LOMOs round fronts which are T3.2 . does anyone here has expericence with them. Can they be used full open if I choose so ?

Thanks

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hello,

I've read in the Sticky about anamorphics that they all perform best around 4-5.6 or closed about 2 stopd from full aperture but the new sets of anamorphics can now go to nearly T2.0 . So do you get a usable image if you use them full opened ?
And when you open them up is it just this "curved focus" thing showing up or are there any other distorsions that I should be worying about ?

Is there a difference between square and round fronts anamoprhic lenses ?

I'm considering buying some LOMOs round fronts which are T3.2 . does anyone here has expericence with them. Can they be used full open if I choose so ?

Thanks

You may get an acceptable image wide open. That depends on your focus puller and your preferences regarding how soft is too soft. There are two reasons the wide-open image may not be acceptable: 1. the lenses get a little softer wide open and 2. the depth of field becomes extremely narrow and there will invariably be buzzes in the focus. If you want to shoot wide open on anamorphics, find a very good focus puller; it will be money well spent.

Edited by Chris Keth, 12 September 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

You may get an acceptable image wide open. That depends on your focus puller and your preferences regarding how soft is too soft. There are two reasons the wide-open image may not be acceptable: 1. the lenses get a little softer wide open and 2. the depth of field becomes extremely narrow and there will invariably be buzzes in the focus. If you want to shoot wide open on anamorphics, find a very good focus puller; it will be money well spent.

Second that.

#4 Mihai Nicolau

Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

Second that.

Yes I know that every lens does not perform at it's best and the DOF is narrow wide open but I wanted to know if shooting anamorphics wide open bring some new problems specific to these lenses. The FAQ at the top of the page says that theses lenses have a curved focus plane and you might get focus in the center but not at the edges. So do the LOMOS exhibit this at full open and are the new anamorphic lenses (HAWK, ELITE) corrected for this ?

Thanks,
Mihai

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

Yes I know that every lens does not perform at it's best and the DOF is narrow wide open but I wanted to know if shooting anamorphics wide open bring some new problems specific to these lenses. The FAQ at the top of the page says that theses lenses have a curved focus plane and you might get focus in the center but not at the edges. So do the LOMOS exhibit this at full open and are the new anamorphic lenses (HAWK, ELITE) corrected for this ?

Thanks,
Mihai

The lomos will probably show curvature of field wide open. Hawks and elites may a little bit, too, but not as much. Basically, stopping down lessens almost every type of lens aberrations.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

All anamorphic lenses show more distortion problems as they are opened wider and wider, and faster lens would show this even more. Second, anamorphic in general has less depth of field because you tend to use longer focal lengths, because they have a wider-angle view so you naturally tend to compensate by using longer lenses. So shooting wide-open is both a focus-pulling challenge and you're more likely to see that anamorphic "look" to the optical distortions. The more you stop down, the more those two problems (distortions and lack of depth of field) are reduced. Doesn't matter which anamorphic lens you use, they all behave this way, some just worse than others at wide apertures.

#7 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

The FAQ at the top of the page says that theses lenses have a curved focus plane and you might get focus in the center but not at the edges. So do the LOMOS exhibit this at full open and are the new anamorphic lenses (HAWK, ELITE) corrected for this ?

The curved field of focus- I saw it with my Lomos and it makes sense if you think about it. Most camera lenses are not flat field lenses, that type of correted lens is primarily used in graphic reproduction. So lenses used for still or motion picture work are going to have a curved depth of field, we just don't notice it most of the time because it is slight. Anamorphic lenses being about twice the focal length of sphericals have proportionately shorter depth of field, and this becomes especially apparent wide open, of course. I haven't tried it, but it would seem that a string or tape from the focal plane swung in a horizontal arc would show you the depth of field curve at any given distance.

Bruce Taylor
www.indi35.com

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Edited by Chris Keth, 13 September 2009 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Mihai Nicolau

Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thank you for your answers and suggestions. B)

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS