#1 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • Brighton / London / Portsmouth - UK

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

I was recently looking around sites for projectors and all wholesaler sites seem to price the projectors between 800 and 1800. However recently looking in ebay i noticed they seem to be far cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

This is the projector i've been looking at, seems very cheap and seller even suggests modern replacement bulb which is what i assume to be potential problems with projectors.

Any suggestions about whether i should contine with purchasing this projector or not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andrzej

#2 Terry Mester

Terry Mester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Other
  • Welland, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

Check out all the Flea Markets and Second Hand Stores in your area. I bought a perfectly good Projector for only $30 Canadian. I found an Argus Camera and Editor for $25 CDN each, and a Sankyo for $25 which I bumped up to $40 because it was basically new! Unlike mail order, Markets and Stores require no postage fees or customs.

Additionally, check the Voltage on the Label! European I believe is 250V/50Hz, British/Australian is 240V/50Hz and North American is 120V/60Hz. A North American electric product will burn out in Europe or Australia!!!

Edited by Terry Mester, 13 September 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#3 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

thanks for the advice on voltages with the plug, but i dont suppose anyone has any direct knowledge about BOLEX Multimatic Automatic Super 8mm Cine Projectors? I looked around on the site and seems quite nice in terms of easy use and straight use from cartridge to projection.

Andrzej

#4 Terry Mester

Terry Mester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Other
  • Welland, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

Here's a Link on the projector:
http://www.bolexcoll...multimatic.html

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

Andrzej Ford: "I was recently looking around sites for projectors and all wholesaler sites seem to price the projectors between 800 and 1800."

Woah! Those prices are crazy! I have bought projectors locally for usually not much more than $100. I once bought an Elmo ST-180 in pristine condition for $25 at a Cash Converters (used goods store.)

My preference is for Elmo projectors because they are so easy to clean the gate. With most Elmo models, you simply swing the lens aside and you have instant access to the gate. Getting to the gate in most other brands of super 8 projectors is a very fiddly process.

#6 Andrzej Ford

Andrzej Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Andrzej Ford: "I was recently looking around sites for projectors and all wholesaler sites seem to price the projectors between 800 and 1800."

Woah! Those prices are crazy! I have bought projectors locally for usually not much more than $100. I once bought an Elmo ST-180 in pristine condition for $25 at a Cash Converters (used goods store.)

My preference is for Elmo projectors because they are so easy to clean the gate. With most Elmo models, you simply swing the lens aside and you have instant access to the gate. Getting to the gate in most other brands of super 8 projectors is a very fiddly process.

Yeah think they were just ridiculous and stupid sites, I still haven't purchased a projector yet. But thanks for the info on Elmo projectors, any information is always useful. Especially if it will save me having problems when I have a projector of my own.!

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Technodolly

CineLab

Glidecam

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets