#1 Lawrence Daufenbach

Lawrence Daufenbach

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

I have been having an interesting velcro debate with a number of ACs and I wanted to find out what most people use on the mattebox, filter tabs, etc: Male Velcro on the mattebox with Female Tabs or Female Velcro on the mattebox with Male Tabs?

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

Not sure about male/ female... I use the soft side on my Mattebox...

#3 Lawrence Daufenbach

Lawrence Daufenbach

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Not sure about male/ female... I use the soft side on my Mattebox...

Male being hard side, Female being soft side.

#4 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

any reasoning behind this?

#5 Alfeo Dixon

Alfeo Dixon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Atlanta

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

any reasoning behind this?

Not that I know of, but I'm sure the reasoning is that the soft side feels better to the skin/face than the hard/hook side. So if you keep it consistent, then you never have to really change your velcro to the accessories your always using from job to job.

Also, if you notice, all accessory ports are female on the camera and all power is male.

#6 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

Soft side always on the camera body itself and/or AKS that "become" part of the working camera- mattebox/siders/eyebrow/(mags if you decide to mount something on them such as a transmitter for steadicam.) Everything else that would be attached- transmitter, cine/Panatape readout/board for focus marks/filter tabs- they would all be hard velcro. The reasoning I have been told (but I question the necessity) is that the hard velcro, being scratchy and stiff, is better off not touching the camera, for fear of scratching the paint job. The more important reason is that it's industry standard and if you stick with the convention, you will never run into problems.

#7 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

One good reason is that if you use the hard side (male) side on you Filter Labels etc... you can easily stick them to the soft fabric on many dollies (e.g Fishers).... while they are on stand by.. or during changes.

#8 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

One good reason is that if you use the hard side (male) side on you Filter Labels etc... you can easily stick them to the soft fabric on many dollies (e.g Fishers).... while they are on stand by.. or during changes.

Another good reason to put the soft side on the matte box - for those of us in colder climates, at least - is that the hard side tends to grab onto any woolen objects like scarves, mitts, etc. I'd hate to walk away from a camera and drag it with me just because the velcro attached itself to my scarf!

--
Jim

#9 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

It makes absolutely no difference. As long as it is works for you. Matte boxes often had a male strip around it because the rain covers all had female sewed into it. I like female on the camera body of a BL because I didn't like dragging my knuckles across it. As long as you prep the camera, have it the way you like and it is consistent for all your cameras and cables, why should it matter. The camera is your domain, manage it how you see fit.

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

It makes absolutely no difference. As long as it is works for you. Matte boxes often had a male strip around it because the rain covers all had female sewed into it. I like female on the camera body of a BL because I didn't like dragging my knuckles across it. As long as you prep the camera, have it the way you like and it is consistent for all your cameras and cables, why should it matter. The camera is your domain, manage it how you see fit.

Since it makes no difference, I go with convention and save myself the work of changing it every time I prep a package. Why fight it? ;)

I did it once with the prickly side on the body when I was in upstate New York. It does catch cold weather clothing pretty bad. :angry:

#11 John Waterman

John Waterman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Chicago

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

I've always thought camera manufacturers should build camera bodies with a velcro patch installed. Or at least rental houses should leave a few standard patches on. It seams silly that every time we prep the things we add all this velcro, then take it off before the return, then the next guy is just going to put a fresh piece on again.

I am also a soft side on body, hard side on AKS guy.

Edited by John Waterman, 21 September 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#12 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

I've always thought camera manufacturers should build camera bodies with a velcro patch installed. Or at least rental houses should leave a few standard patches on. It seams silly that every time we prep the things we add all this velcro, then take it off before the return, then the next guy is just going to put a fresh piece on again.

I am also a soft side on body, hard side on AKS guy.

You remove the velcro when you return a body? I never bother and more often than not, bodies already have good velcro on them when I check out.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc