4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

I have a Bolex H16 Reflex with a variable shutter, and I wanted to know the exact shutter angles so I can set them in my meter when I shoot. I'm aware of the 1/3 stop stolen from the prism, but I'd rather set my meter to the exact shutter angle, then subtract the 1/3 stop myself (opposed to using the adapted shutter angles to compensate for the 1/3 stop).

I read that the shutter angle for the H16 reflex is 133 degrees. Is that right? What about the shutter angles at 1/2, 1, and 2?

#2 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

I have a Bolex H16 Reflex with a variable shutter, and I wanted to know the exact shutter angles so I can set them in my meter when I shoot. I'm aware of the 1/3 stop stolen from the prism, but I'd rather set my meter to the exact shutter angle, then subtract the 1/3 stop myself (opposed to using the adapted shutter angles to compensate for the 1/3 stop).

I read that the shutter angle for the H16 reflex is 133 degrees. Is that right? What about the shutter angles at 1/2, 1, and 2?

The manual is quite useful in this respect : do you have one ? Otherwise, there is also this website :
http://www.city-net....ex/shutter.html

#3 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

1/2, 1, and 2 refer to the amount of stops of light the shutter is not allowing to hit the film compared to the 133deg angle - '1' is therefore 66.5deg and '2' is 33.25deg - 1/2 I dont have the right calculators here to work out (log2) - I dunno, take a stab at 100deg :lol:

#4 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

1/2, 1, and 2 refer to the amount of stops of light the shutter is not allowing to hit the film compared to the 133deg angle - '1' is therefore 66.5deg and '2' is 33.25deg - 1/2 I dont have the right calculators here to work out (log2) - I dunno, take a stab at 100deg :lol:

Ok that makes sense, thanks! But what I'm confused about is how the above link lists 1/2 as 65 degrees, and 1 at 32 degrees. Does the 1/2 mark then represent 1/4, then the 1 mark represents 1/2, and the 2 mark represents 1?

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

That website is wrong

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport