#1 Daniel Katz

Daniel Katz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:22 AM

I am Gaffing a short film in a warehouse this Wednesday. There are just two actors facing each other, a la, any Spaghetti Western, they are roughly twenty feet apart. We are only really looking one way. Our lighting approach is essentially to build a makeshift toplight softbox consisting of sets of Par 64's spanning the distance of the two actors. We may add some extra par cans at each end over the actors. We are really just going to rig a skirt and then use one 12x12 rag of bleached Muslin and two 8x8 rags as the diff. The floor to the grid is eighteen feet. Most of the Pars are narrows and there are some mediums. We are shooting Red with Zeiss Standard Speeds and doing some squib gunfire stuff at 120fps at 2K. The Dp and I love using Mus to shoot through but I am a bit worried that due to its very low transmission quality that we may struggle with the 120fps stuff. We will have 25 Par 64's up top and a narrow spot (1000 FFP Q1000 PAR64/2 ) from 18 feet would give me about 800 footcandles before the Muslin goes in. Normally I would go with light grid for something like this but the DP is very keen on the Muslin. Does anyone have any insights into roughly how many footcandles i'm going to lose once the Muslin goes in.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

There are different strengths of muslin, so it's hard to give you an answer. I'd over light, especially for having room for the 120fps. I don't have an idea for how many footcandles you will loose, but padding it will sure help.

Let us know how it comes out!

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineLab

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks