New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to shoot my first feature on the Red next year and the director wants to do some test shots with the camera, actors and locations so we can set the 'look' of the scenes on the Red profile. I own the camera, tripod and laptop and It's only for a couple of days (I think, I hope) and I was wondering if there are any special conditions / terms or rates for doing test shoots? Do I charge them my usual fee? I'm a bit careful with this because I don't want to demand money and scare him off because I'm dying to shoot a feature. I've only worked on shorts, music vids and tvc's that didn't have time for test shoots so this area is a bit new to me.

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to shoot my first feature on the Red next year and the director wants to do some test shots with the camera, actors and locations so we can set the 'look' of the scenes on the Red profile. I own the camera, tripod and laptop and It's only for a couple of days (I think, I hope) and I was wondering if there are any special conditions / terms or rates for doing test shoots? Do I charge them my usual fee? I'm a bit careful with this because I don't want to demand money and scare him off because I'm dying to shoot a feature. I've only worked on shorts, music vids and tvc's that didn't have time for test shoots so this area is a bit new to me.

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark

You're working, why wouldn't you bill it as work? If you're being paid weekly, does that include some sort of prep?

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:55 AM

agreed. I think it might be standard to ask for Half rate for the few days, but make sure you make your money!

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, i'd normally do a 1/2 day rate for something like that, but when you invoice 'em, make sure to put the full amounts on there with a discount (so as to show them how much they should've been paying you). I do this regardless of what rate I'm making; put my full rate for everything on the line item, and then give a discount % to equal out how much we've agreed upon for the shoot.

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Opal