1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Riordan

Dan Riordan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

I am shooting a short film with a few compositing shots. I’m shooting on 35mm and then transferring HD. This is my first experience with compositing so I have many questions. The image to be composited is linked below, it was done in photoshop

http://bighugelabs.c...6...ge&bg=white

The plate is the man and the background, the elements to be composited in are the woman on top of the tower and the tower itself. Eventually the man stands next to the base of the tower so that they are both in the distance. And then finally he is on top of the tower with the woman. Here are my questions;

1. When the man stands near the base of the tower should he be green screened and place out there in compositing? This way his scale can be controlled.

2. When shooting the actors in front of a green screen to place them on top of the tower how do I match the angle? Obviously I cannot get a person high enough to match the angle. Any recommendations here?

3. When filming the actors should I fill the frame as much as possible, or get them as close to the right scale as possible? I could place the green screen on a hill and shoot up. In the still photograph I placed the actress on a table and shot from beneath fairly close up.

These are probably enough for now to get the conversation rolling.

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

Are the other two shots (man near base and man on tower) the same or similar to this concept art, aside from the man's position within the frame on each shot? My reply is based on the assumption that they are the same.

1. I'd probably shoot reference (even if it is only a few seconds worth) of him standing there in the distance - just so you can get an idea of the scale. You could probably even shoot the shot with him standing there in the distance and extract a matte using roto and luminance keys (depends how confidence a compositor you are).

2/3. As far as matching angle goes, what you've done now works fine. You could find a hill that the actors could stand on and use a long lens to capture them close up (well covering the area on the top of the tower) or you could film them from ground level in front of a greenscreen and adjust the perspective of the element in the composite. They are so far away I doubt you'll notice anything odd about it.

Opal

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio