Iga Mikler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hi!
Im a filmstudent and did my first technical grade from s16 at the lab. I was really concerned about the quality, and primarly i wanted to do the best light from the neg as i have done in the past, but wanted to try out to work in the di suit this time. I asked for uncompressed material to have the best quality to work from in the di suit and scanned everything to hard discs instead of outputting the material to hdcam sr tapes. When i got back to the lab to get some tiff sequences for some special effects we have, i found out that the technical grade on my discs are uncompressed quicktime files, not dpx files as well as it has bit 10 4:2:2 color deapth instead of 4:4:4 RGB as u get when you scan to hdcam sr tape.

so my question is how much will this effect my work in the di suit? they work from dpx files in the di suit, so i am also lost with what they will do to the uncompressed quicktime files. should i just have stuck with the hdcamsr option from the beginning? Is there a better way?

should i ask them to rescan my material at the lab? since I asked for best quality, and i did not know this would effect the color deapth? I am doing the hole processing at the same lab.

Im eager to know what the best way to do these techincal grades are. Im learning by doing but dont want my film to suffer. And i want the best result so i can save the end product on to a hard drive to be able to do a 35 print. (should i go to hard drive or hdcam sr tape with the finished product? to go to 35 print?)

thanks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery