#1 Felix Wiedemann

Felix Wiedemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK, Germany

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

Sorry for asking a question that I could easily find out by testing, but perhaps someone already has experience with this and I don't have much time to work this out.

So far I have mostly used a sinlge light only to go through diffusion frames. In this particular case I will need more stop than I get out of say a 10K through an 8x8 diffusion frame. A bigger lamp is not an option in this case, but I have access to more 10Ks. So my question is: Will two 10Ks (both filling the 8x8 frame) give me substantially more stop that one 10K, perhaps even comparable to a 20K ? What about 3 or 4 10Ks:-)

Thanks a lot !

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20085 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

Sorry for asking a question that I could easily find out by testing, but perhaps someone already has experience with this and I don't have much time to work this out.

So far I have mostly used a sinlge light only to go through diffusion frames. In this particular case I will need more stop than I get out of say a 10K through an 8x8 diffusion frame. A bigger lamp is not an option in this case, but I have access to more 10Ks. So my question is: Will two 10Ks (both filling the 8x8 frame) give me substantially more stop that one 10K, perhaps even comparable to a 20K ? What about 3 or 4 10Ks:-)

Thanks a lot !

Sure it will give you more light - it's done all the time (especially with a long diffusion frame, like a 4'x8'), adding more lights behind a large diffusion frame. The only thing is that it helps to use a thick enough diffusion so that the two lights blend into one that fills the frame, not two slightly softened sources side by side creating two shadows.

#3 boy yniguez

boy yniguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

Thanks a lot !

yep, every doubling of the light adds one stop - one to two, two to four, four to eight and so forth.

#4 Felix Wiedemann

Felix Wiedemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK, Germany

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks a lot for your help !

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

yep, every doubling of the light adds one stop - one to two, two to four, four to eight and so forth.

Mind that this is true with respect to those sources and those sources only - if there is any other lighting (ambient or otherwise) then this equation wont hold true for the light the film eventually receives.

Edited by Chris Millar, 06 October 2009 - 09:19 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine