Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone,

Been asked a few questions on this and I just don't have the background knowledge to know the pitfalls of using Nikon primes on the Canon MkII.

I know its been done a lot and I know there is an adapter from Nikon mount to Canon Eos but I have a few nagging questions,

1) Firstly, is the adapter compatible with the majority of Nikon photo lenses out there?

2) I've heard that the lever for automatic iris opening and closing for shots/viewing on the Nikon lenses gets in the way of the adapter and has to be removed, is this true of all lenses and adapters?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Cheers,
Andy

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Been asked a few questions on this and I just don't have the background knowledge to know the pitfalls of using Nikon primes on the Canon MkII.

I know its been done a lot and I know there is an adapter from Nikon mount to Canon Eos but I have a few nagging questions,

1) Firstly, is the adapter compatible with the majority of Nikon photo lenses out there?

2) I've heard that the lever for automatic iris opening and closing for shots/viewing on the Nikon lenses gets in the way of the adapter and has to be removed, is this true of all lenses and adapters?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

The old manual lenses will work. No idea about the clever modern ones.

Stephen

#3 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi Andy,

The old manual lenses will work. No idea about the clever modern ones.

Stephen

Cheers Stephen, was worried about that.

The old lenses are clever too, ingenious even.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have 2 cheap-o Nikon to Canon EOS adapters that I got off fleaBay that work fine (infinity focus). The auto focus / exposure lenses won't work in auto mode. Haven't had any troubles with any levers . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 20 September 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#5 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

hi
same for me, clever lens will work fine manualy only

#6 sam morgan moore

sam morgan moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

1) yes - but not modern G lenses that are electronic interface - they can by controlled by adapters from 16-9.net (or a bit of card wedging the aperture lever open - not very pro method)

2) not true but some lenses have a little sticky out thing to protect the rear element - famously the 50 1.2 manual - this can be filed off without affecting the function of the lens

Some uber wides 8mm for example only work on nikons with the mirror locked up - no worky on canon (although I donts see why you cant lock the mirror then put the lens on but you are F'd if you lower the mirror some how b4 you remove the lens)

in summary 90% of nikon manual primes are absolutely better than fine

I have, 80-200, 50 1.4, 14, 20-35 400 etc - all great

S

#7 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

2) not true but some lenses have a little sticky out thing to protect the rear element - famously the 50 1.2 manual - this can be filed off without affecting the function of the lens

Some uber wides 8mm for example only work on nikons with the mirror locked up - no worky on canon (although I donts see why you cant lock the mirror then put the lens on but you are F'd if you lower the mirror some how b4 you remove the lens)

in summary 90% of nikon manual primes are absolutely better than fine

I have, 80-200, 50 1.4, 14, 20-35 400 etc - all great

S

Thanks Sam, you've cleared it for me - so there is some truth to it, but in most cases there should be no problem.

Cheers,
Andy

#8 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

I use a series of Nikon AIS lenses on the 5d MkII with one of those adaptors with no problems.
The lenses stop down to the set aperture when focusing so the image can get quite dark in the viewfinder/LCD screen.
The images look great!

#9 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Good news.

#10 John Hoffler

John Hoffler
  • Sustaining Members
  • 132 posts
  • Film Loader
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

so my newer nikons will work on a 5D Mkii? I have a 24mm / 2.8, a 50mm / 1.4, an 85mm /1.8 and an 80-200m / 2.8 nikkors that I've recently purchased and wanted to make sure they'd work with an adaptor without issues.

#11 sam morgan moore

sam morgan moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

so my newer nikons will work on a 5D Mkii? I have a 24mm / 2.8, a 50mm / 1.4, an 85mm /1.8 and an 80-200m / 2.8 nikkors that I've recently purchased and wanted to make sure they'd work with an adaptor without issues.

this depends on the model - if they are G lenses - no proper aperture ring - then you need the complex expensive 16-9 adapters

if you have an aperture ring you are fine on cheapy adapters

S

#12 kyle merryman

kyle merryman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:38 AM

does anyone here know if any good side-by-side comparisons of the newer Canon D7 with the
Nikon D3S?

#13 Jean Dodge

Jean Dodge
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

The AI manual focus nikkors work quite well with the canon 5D mk2. Some lenses do indeed have a half circle flange that protects the rear element that will hit the mirror - look out for the 24mm, the 20mm and possibly others. The nikkor 85mm f 1.4 is a great lens for low light shooting, and the 85mm 1.8 isn't bad, either. I like the f2.8 24mm and the f1.4 35mm, quite a bit. As with 35mm motion picture, the nikkon 300mm f 2.8 is a great lens, too.

Some eos to nikon F adapters are better than others, and some lenses that still have "ears" for coupling with non-AI bodies may have to have the ears removed to fit fully. Novoflex makes the most expensive - I won't say the best - but the most professional adapter. The way that the adapter locks onto the nikkors, however leads one to the conclusion that putting adapters onto each lens is the best way to work, and that steers you towards buying hong kong adapters (less than ten dollars each) and also getting some canon rear caps so they lenses can travel and store at the ready. There will be some quality control issues with the cheap adapters - you may want to order a few extra, or try more than one brand to see which you like the best. I've had good luck with Bogens, but YMMV.

Working in low light is where this camera out preforms others, but the caveat is that the sensor and lenses are more sensitive and faster, etc than the camera's ability to allow you to monitor critical focus, so if you think you have a sharp image, don't count on it until you review the shot in full HD on a good sized monitor.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam