Andrew Neal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Oxford

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

I'm new to this site and I'm new to filmmaking. I am looking to buy an affordable camera at a decent price. What type of camera should I start with and how much and/or where could I find it? If anyone can help me out I truly appreciate it. Thanks again! :unsure:

#2 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

I'm new to this site and I'm new to filmmaking. I am looking to buy an affordable camera at a decent price. What type of camera should I start with and how much and/or where could I find it? If anyone can help me out I truly appreciate it. Thanks again! :unsure:

Hi Andrew,

One question that you'll need to ask yourself, is are you going to record sound, particularly dialogue that needs to be in sync. That is one of the things that will make a very big difference in a camera selection. I would suggest that you give a little more detail as to what your goals are and any other details about potential projects. The question(s) alove are a little vague.

Good luck and welcome.
Tom

#3 Andrew Neal

Andrew Neal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Oxford

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

I am doing a project for the Oxford Film Festival in Mississippi. I need a camera that can record sound aswell. Not a camera that is too expensive for I am on a budget. I'm shooting a dramatic movie that will take place in a rural college town. Most scenes will take place in a court room & Interrogation Room. I am working with a budget no more than $1200 for the whole project. I also have software for editing my film with Audio & Visual Effects. This is what my project is about...
The Title is "Confessions of a Cynical Killer"
Plot Line:
A small southern town never expected to find a body on a walking trail. The body contained no evidence, the only thing leading to a suspect is the murder weapon, a wooden cane. Can authorities prove that the most origanal character is a cynical killer?

If you have any suggestions with the camera or any ideas that you would like to run by me then please let me know. Thanks again for your help!

#4 Ben Brahem Ziryab

Ben Brahem Ziryab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

It all depends on your budget and your need.

First thing that goes though my mind is the Panasonic HD prosumer camcorders. I have used the DVX100 for almost a year and it's a really neat camcorder for most film students. The DVX100 cost only about $2000 at the moment...You may also consider the newer HD version, HVX200 which goes for about $3400.

Other suggestions would be the Canon XL2 (SD) / Canon XLh1 (HD)...the JVC HD-100U, 200U or maybe 250U if you can afford.

If you are on a really tight budget, get the Canon XL1...it's sold for almost no money these days and it's a fine piece of camcorder considered the price.

That was the digital prosumer camcorder market as it looks right now. You may also want to shot on film, but then you would have to spend much more.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Why do you need to buy a camera right now?

If I were you, I would hire a DP first and let them try to find a camera to borrow or rent. He/she may even be able to get one from a friend for free. As an added bonus, now you've got someone to run the camera who knows what they are doing.

This is by far the best way to stretch your $1200 because otherwise you'll blow your whole budget on just the camera (and not a very good one). You still need money for food, transport, expendables, not to mention lighting/grip gear and the rest of the camera package - tripod, lenses, filters, matte box, follow focus, etc.

#6 Andrew Neal

Andrew Neal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Oxford

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thank you all very much for your support! I will look into each one of them and see what I can find & I will also look into finding a DP.
Thanks for your help

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS