#1 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

I bought this camera a couple days ago for the reason being I'm going to Paris in December and wanted to take some beautiful footage of the location. I'm a bit confused though...

So I slip in the 200T Vision 2 Stock and locks in place , is that really all I do? and just Aim and shoot?

It seems too easy. And I tested out a dummy load last night and it seems the stock will run forever and loop itself and be able to film over itself.

But it looks great!

#2 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

Do I have to do anything with the take up pin too?

Here's a manual with the parts

http://www.mondofoto...ls/nikon8x.html

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

Congratulations on your new (old) camera.

I haven't used that model but here are a oouple things to look for:

• There should be a needle or something in the view finder that moves to show the light level
  • Make sure the meter is working, you might need to replace a small watch type batery if it isn't; or your model might get power for the meter from the standard batteries
  • Film will run until its done, it won't loop back
  • One cartridge will last you about 3.5 minutes so be judicious in what you shoot!
  • Negative film is great but its a little harder and more expensive to transfer properly than reversal so you may consider using Ektachrome 64T next time
  • Don't pack your film in your suitcase because the x-rays in baggage checks are really strong

Have fun! You're going to love it.

#4 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

Congratulations on your new (old) camera.

I haven't used that model but here are a oouple things to look for:

• There should be a needle or something in the view finder that moves to show the light level
  • Make sure the meter is working, you might need to replace a small watch type batery if it isn't; or your model might get power for the meter from the standard batteries
  • Film will run until its done, it won't loop back
  • One cartridge will last you about 3.5 minutes so be judicious in what you shoot!
  • Negative film is great but its a little harder and more expensive to transfer properly than reversal so you may consider using Ektachrome 64T next time
  • Don't pack your film in your suitcase because the x-rays in baggage checks are really strong

Have fun! You're going to love it.

In the AMC ring , I'm guessing when its locked on "A" it becomes automatic and the meter should move on its on. and when it's unlocked you should be able to adjust the f/stop freely?

Do you know any LA labs that process Super 8mm Color Reversal for low price? I'm planning on shooting a silent film with decent budget

and thank you!

#5 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

One more question , It says an 85 filter (even kodak says) will convert Tungsten film to Daylight. But I thought 85 was a warming filter and 80 was the cooling filter?

#6 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

In the AMC ring , I'm guessing when its locked on "A" it becomes automatic and the meter should move on its on. and when it's unlocked you should be able to adjust the f/stop freely?

Yes. When at "A", point at a light to see if the needle moves to verify the meter is working. Push the button and turn the dial to set the aperture manually.

One more question , It says an 85 filter (even kodak says) will convert Tungsten film to Daylight. But I thought 85 was a warming filter and 80 was the cooling filter?

85 is correct filter. By default it is engaged for outdoor shooting. To disengage you have to push the filter key into the slot on the top of the camera. If you don't have the key cut a piece of stiff plastic the size of the slot and push it in until you hear it click.

Rick

#7 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

[quote name='Will Montgomery' date='Sep 25 2009, 07:38 AM' post='300867']

[list]
[*]Make sure the meter is working, you might need to replace a small watch type batery if it isn't; or your model might get power for the meter from the standard batteries. [quote]

The meter on this camera is powered by two 1.3 volt batteries, located at base of camera. If you don't have batteries or if the light meter is faulty you can still set aperture manually - a great feature.

These are one of my favourite cameras.

Rick

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC