2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

I want to shoot on my bolex (regular 16), but I want to telecine to HD 16:9, so I want to frame my shots keeping in mind the areas on top and bottom that will be cropped out. What is the best way to do this? Can I put camera tape on the prism? Or would that be bad for it?

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

I want to shoot on my bolex (regular 16), but I want to telecine to HD 16:9, so I want to frame my shots keeping in mind the areas on top and bottom that will be cropped out. What is the best way to do this? Can I put camera tape on the prism? Or would that be bad for it?

It depends if it is the type to have the magnifying lens/mask on top of the prism groundglass or not - flip/swivel it out and you should see what I mean...

If so, then taping onto the top of the lens will give pretty ugly results - if you have access to the GG directly then yeh go for it - try to not push the adhesive down onto the GG itself or it may taint it permanently (who knows what you'll use!), just keep it floating above by sticking it to the mask itself...

#3 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

It depends if it is the type to have the magnifying lens/mask on top of the prism groundglass or not - flip/swivel it out and you should see what I mean...

If so, then taping onto the top of the lens will give pretty ugly results - if you have access to the GG directly then yeh go for it - try to not push the adhesive down onto the GG itself or it may taint it permanently (who knows what you'll use!), just keep it floating above by sticking it to the mask itself...

I did this as a special request once for someone but instead of using tape I placed two thin strips of ND6 or ND9 gel at the top and bottom. Less messy.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc