Photo

Need some advice about which way to go!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Naomi Digby

Naomi Digby

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi, everyone! I am new here at Cinematography.com and I'm happy to have finally found a place where I can meet fellow amateur and professional DP's!

To make my story short as possible, I graduated from Tufts University and The School of Museum of Fine Arts (located in Boston) in 2008. My art school didn't have an impressive film and photography department, but I learned what I could...Mostly worked with 8mm film, crappy 1-chip mini DV cameras, analog still-photography (both color and b&w), and plenty of Final Cut Pro. We had virtually NO good/new equipment at school. Almost all of the newer equipment were either stolen, broken or hogged by grad students...But I made the best out of the stuff they did have and I learned to do so much on my own. While it was a good thing that I became adept at creating my own home-made lights, and putting weird little contraptions on my camera to create the image I wanted, I had no knowledge of how to operate higher-end, professional cameras, and I didn't know how to do lighting professionally.

So the summer before my senior year at college and up until this past summer, I interned/PA-ed at HSI Productions in Culver City and Indie Rental (a camera house) in Hollywood. As useful as it was to PA in commercial and music video production, I didn't get to work on set as much as I had liked and Indie Rentals didn't give me ANY work to do...I literally had to beg someone everyday to do something. Usually ended up being a super menial task too. Thus, I didn't get to learn more about cinematography from either internships.

So here's my situation: I have found a program where I can become an apprentice to a cinematographer. I met face to face with the guy who I will probably be apprenticing for, his name is Matthias Koenigswieser, and he's pretty awesome. However, the program costs $7,000, which lasts for one year, and one extra year for help with job placements. The program people may help me fly out to out-of-state shoots too.

The other option is an opportunity to possibly work for Pat Derrin (who is a longtime of my neighbor's), but I haven't met him face to face yet and I think he isn't working as constantly as Matthias is...But if that were to work out, I wouldn't have to pay anything.

I have no idea which path to take!! It's a risk either way, but in the end what I ONLY want to do is to learn cinematography and strike out on my own eventually. I just need to learn the ropes, and from there, it'll all be up to me. I believe that I have the creative capacity, motivation and dedication. Plus, I think we seriously need more female DPs anyway! ;)

Is it better for me to choose a pretty legit program, where I know I would receive training for sure, or go work for someone pretty well-known DP but who may not be working as much?? Or do both perhaps? Any advice will help.

Thanks!

- Naomi Digby

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC