#1 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

I’m trying to find out where my shaky footage problem exists. I’m using an Super 16 Éclair ACL with a 400 magazine on a locked down tripod.

I’m not sure if it’s happening with my 200 ft mag because that is always hand held. It’s not the transfer house as this has happened with two different houses. There is a spring loaded guide on the camera that moves feely in and out with no sticking or debris. The magazine makes no strange noise that I would associate with bad loops.

Does this issue look familiar to anyone? I’m aware I can (and have) stabilize it in post but I can’t accept that as a solution.

Shaky Footage

Thanks,
Tom

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hey Tom.
To me it looks like it's weave in the gate. Cant really diagnose more than that as I'm not an ACL man myself, but it seems the film isn't running straight down through the film channel. It's not a loop problem as far as I can tell, but rather almost appears as though the S16 conversion widened the film channel too much (slightly) and the film is <--- ----> inside of there, if those arrows make sense. Send it out for mantience ASAP to check the tolerances on all parts.

#3 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

[ Hi Tom, Could be that the film wasn't fully locked into the aperture area on the sides. Could also be that the lateral pressure plate has some dirt underneath, thus keeping it in the out position (instead of the in-towards-film position). Check that the little lateral pressure plate is working properly.Use a toothpick and press the top and bottom. You should have resistance from the spring if it's working properly.
I'll keep thinking and let you know. Did this happen with this magazine only?
Cheers, Bernie

#4 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys.

Bernie, I did check that lateral pressure plate before I shot this footage and it moved freely with some resistance from the spring. I used a toothpick, but found no dirt or debris. I'm in the process of checking my notes to see if this is happening on the footage shot with my 200 foot magazines. For most hand held shots I use the 200 foot mags, so it may be more difficult to see. If 200 foot tripod shots are fine, I would assume that it's the 400 foot mag. Does that seem like a reasonable assessment?

Thanks again,
Tom

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

CineTape

Paralinx LLC