#1 Timothy OBrien

Timothy OBrien

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

I will be going to the aquarium tomorrow. Wanted to shoot a reel of Tri-X reversal with a Bolex. Not sure how to meter or what tricks I could use to make sure I get an image. Anybody have some advice or recommendations to save me a wasted roll?

Thanks.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

I will be going to the aquarium tomorrow. Wanted to shoot a reel of Tri-X reversal with a Bolex. Not sure how to meter or what tricks I could use to make sure I get an image. Anybody have some advice or recommendations to save me a wasted roll?

If it gets dark, shoot at slower frame rates on a wide lens. I've gotten some great low-light night ext. Tri-X footage with my Scoopic at 16fps, 170 shutter, all handheld. I haven't shot Bolex in a long time, I think it's got a max 130 shutter, right? Might have to go to 12fps in some cases. The Scoopic has a built in meter, which is a big advantage. But you can always keep a spot meter in your pocket. It might slow you down a little. Also, you can push Tri-X one stop without it getting too grainy. Two stop push creates super grain, but it's beautiful Seurat-like film grain so you might like it.

I've shot some 7218 at Monterey Bay Aquarium and it looked amazing. Hi-speed color neg would capture maximum detail with the least amount of grain. Take a roll of 7219 if you have a chance, I hear it's even better at low-light than 7218.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

Use a spot meter to determine exposure. Have a friend along with a big piece of black cloth to block reflections in the glass. Maybe some windex and paper towels, too....

-- J.S.

#4 Timothy OBrien

Timothy OBrien

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. You're right on the shutter Satsuki, Bolex only opens to 130. Definitely use a spot meter and try to rig some sort of set-up to reduce glare on the glass. The tanks are pretty well lit for the most part so I'm hoping things should come out o.k. If I can find enough light I'd love to get some slow motion shots. Especially of the jellyfish.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:53 AM

Jellyfish move pretty slow to begin with so you'll probably be fine at 24fps. On the other hand, keeping up with sea otters is a challenge! They're like puppies on crack...

The thing is, there will likely be a huge exposure range as you move through the exhibits. In the dark areas, you'll be wide open and 6-12fps, while in the sunlit areas you'll be at f/16 and a 65 degree shutter (1/2) at 24fps. Remember, Tri-X is 160T/200D. And if in the dark areas you only need enough exposure for the lit display windows, then you will likely be fine - just be aware of your surroundings.

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Opal

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC