#1 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi.

At my college we have a live television event every year, and I had this crazy idea of converting one of the rooms into a 3D cinema for this year or the next. I wouldn't be looking to broadcast 3D, just have a 3D showing. I'm not very knowledgable on the subject as of yet, so that's why I've come here to see how feasible an idea this is.

I would be looking to produce a polarised 3D viewing, not anaglyph. From looking at a wiki page, I would need the following:
2X aligned DLP projectors
Some polarizing filters
A silver screen
Computer with a dual-head graphics card

The page doesn't really go into much more detail than this. So I've got a few questions about this kit.

First of all, why DLP projectors? From reading up LCD projectors seem to be doing very well in terms of quality in recent years, so, unless there is a technical issue as opposed to quality I'd rather not limit myself to just DLP projectors.

Secondly, the silver screen is used as it reflects more hard light as opposed to a white screen which can diffuse the light ridding the image of polarisation. But, is this really going to be an issue in a smaller room, we're not talking a huge cinema here.

Thirdly, the polarizing filters. Is this going to be a simple case of buying some cokin linear polarising filters or do you need something very specific?

Any ideas or advice appreciated.
Dan.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

LCD should work (I don't think it polarizes the light, does it?). You definitely need the silver screen, a plain one removes all the polarization, and therefore, all the 3D. Circular polarization has pretty much replaced linear this time around. You need to match your viewing eyeglasses.

BSkyB are working on 3D, perhaps you can find something useful there:

http://www.televisio...m/article/84702

-- J.S.

#3 Russell Scott

Russell Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

LCD projectors do polarise the light, there are ways to use them, but there are more problems. dlp is the way to go.

for the rest it depends on how fussy you are.
it is *possible* to watch stereo via a white screen, but its generally going to be terrible, with lots of ghosting. same with cheaper filters (careful not to burn your filters) - you get more ghosting. you can even paint a wall with aluminum flaked paints and you'll get a reasonable result but silver screens are the only way to ensure a good result.

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc