#1 Marty McCool

Marty McCool
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

I think it may prove interesting to consider the subject of how cinematographers and filmmakers have tapped into the theme of the Fall and used the majesty of perhaps the most unique and splendid of the four seasons to create beautiful films.
My two initial examples are American Beauty and Vanilla Sky. In American Beauty the iconic plastic bag scene shows a plastic big dancing amid the leaevs of the Fall. The symbolism of the scene is of spiritual power and meaning: are we merely 'litter on the breeze' or is there a grand plan for the universe overseen by an all-seeing, all-knowing God?
Vanilla Sky is a truly beautiful cinematic evocation of the season of Fall in New York city. John Toll's painterly canvas brings out the majestic colours of the Fall, the golds, browns and auburns. Possibly the best scene in the film shows Cameron Crowe's camera aimed skyward and the leaves of the Fall gliding to a happy-sad death on the ground. Pure poetry in cinema. Any other nominations for Movies of the Fall?

#2 Marty McCool

Marty McCool
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

I'd like to hear some other insights on this. Someone mentioned Dead Poet's Society to me. What about Days of Heaven?
There were some stunning harvest scenes in that

I think it may prove interesting to consider the subject of how cinematographers and filmmakers have tapped into the theme of the Fall and used the majesty of perhaps the most unique and splendid of the four seasons to create beautiful films.
My two initial examples are American Beauty and Vanilla Sky. In American Beauty the iconic plastic bag scene shows a plastic big dancing amid the leaevs of the Fall. The symbolism of the scene is of spiritual power and meaning: are we merely 'litter on the breeze' or is there a grand plan for the universe overseen by an all-seeing, all-knowing God?
Vanilla Sky is a truly beautiful cinematic evocation of the season of Fall in New York city. John Toll's painterly canvas brings out the majestic colours of the Fall, the golds, browns and auburns. Possibly the best scene in the film shows Cameron Crowe's camera aimed skyward and the leaves of the Fall gliding to a happy-sad death on the ground. Pure poetry in cinema. Any other nominations for Movies of the Fall?

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

A strong memory for me is from Risky Business where Joel is waiting for Lana to make her appearance.. The leaves in the night's wind. The bike falls over. It was intimate and poetic.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

O' Brother Where Art Thou

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Miller's Crossing. As much dread as majesty. Though, the woods had nearly a character's status.

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineLab

Opal

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post