#1 Jose Figueroa Baez

Jose Figueroa Baez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

I am DP on a small feature shooting on HDV. I have a fairly good light kit composed of work lights out of the hardware store and a small studio kit. I do a lot of my cutting of the light with black wrap in the absence of barn doors and I do have professional gels and other things to control and color my light.

I have been having trouble getting nice, contrasty pictures on set, especially on daylight shots. I have a lot of things at the same exposure with no areas of light and dark or the dark areas don't look dark enough. We do have some great shots but the general look of the film is not as contrasty as I would like it to be. I know there are things I can do in post to boost this but, I like getting as much on set and on the camera as possible without counting on Post to get me out of the hole. There is nothing I can do for what's already in the can, but I would like to see what techniques from more experienced DP's (this is my first feature) I can use so I can get better at my craft. Thank you for your comments. Here is a link to the trailer so you can know a little more about the project and see where I'm coming from:

Edited by Jose Figueroa Baez, 12 October 2009 - 09:31 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio