#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

Anyone have a bead on the current activity in creative, independent production? I'm so out of the loop that I don't find out how things are going until a year or so later. Are people still knocking out tons of independent production like three or four years ago? Or, has the pack thinned out as people spend off their little capital? Are people figuring out that there's no pot of gold waiting for them? If they're still producing what do you think their motives might be?

I'm hoping to hear a variety of reactions including some fresh buzz from Richard B.

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Anyone have a bead on the current activity in creative, independent production? I'm so out of the loop that I don't find out how things are going until a year or so later. Are people still knocking out tons of independent production like three or four years ago? Or, has the pack thinned out as people spend off their little capital? Are people figuring out that there's no pot of gold waiting for them? If they're still producing what do you think their motives might be?

I'm hoping to hear a variety of reactions including some fresh buzz from Richard B.

Gee I'm flattered that you would mention me by name.

I'm still chugging along, in post now on feature number 2. Although it was quite a different project and experience from my first feature project.

As for the current trends? Horror and drama still seem to be popular with indie & small budget people. Pretty much all of the stuff I hear that is shooting, or wants to be shot, seems to be from one of these two categories. I went with family comedy on my last shoot.

I think people are still motivated by money and are still convinced they can make some. Even though it's very tough. However, as people found out when GM stock hit 95 cents, it's tough to make money with GM as well. Especially if you bought GM stock when it was at 95 dollars!

I'm sure there are plenty of idealists out there as well, making movies they hope will have some impact on society. Living in Canada that's all I'm surrounded by as the word "commercial" is considered by many to be a dirty word here.

The answer to your question will largely be answered the first week of next month as AFM starts. Some clear trends usually emerge from AFM, as one particular genre is "hot." Horror ruled AFM for many years, and still does to a large degree when you look at the posters that command the most space in the lobbies. Action is also a good pick for international buyers. Scantily clad women, machine guns, & monsters, need very little translation. In fact many movies make a lot more in the overseas markets these days than they do in the US.

I'm sure the recession cut down on the available capital to some degree. I haven't seen any hard data on how much though? I'm not sure you could even accurately track such information?

R,

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

As for the current trends? Horror and drama still seem to be popular with indie & small budget people. Pretty much all of the stuff I hear that is shooting, or wants to be shot, seems to be from one of these two categories. I went with family comedy on my last shoot.

That's a brilliant thing to do. When the market is glutted with something, be the only guy out there selling something else. Find the underserved audience, and make 'em a movie. When everybody else starts to copy you, switch again.

-- J.S.

CineLab

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine