#1 Jeff Kolada

Jeff Kolada
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Student
  • Columbus/Athens, OH

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

For a school project we had to re-create a couple movie scenes. We were given one from 'Diner' and one from 'Chasing Amy'. We took some liberties with the Chasing Amy scene in terms of setting, and we were told not to see either of the movies before we shot/edited our scenes.
So let me know what you think, and what I can improve on.
Both are available in HD

Scene from 'Diner' -

Scene from 'Chasing Amy' -

#2 Darrin Harris

Darrin Harris

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

Jeff,

I watched both and thought you did a great job. The only thing I would point out about the "Diner" and I bet you already know what it is.... The background noise on the t-shirt guy's mic was louder and evident when he spoke. There were also some discontinuity portions of the Chasing Amy back ground sound. I make these two comments as an after thought because you asked for opinions.

The Diner- I thought you did a great job shooting. I really like the look you achieved. The actors did a great job. I never saw the movie this was taken from, but I would put your work right up there with quality feature work. Again, great job, the clip brought a smile to my face.

Chasing Amy- While I thing this was good, I liked the Diner a little more. There was something about Chasing Amy that took away from the quality. I had to watch it a couple times to figure it out. It was obviously shot on a partly cloudy day as evidenced by the sun shining on the actors and grass in the back ground during part of the scene. Then, around 2:24 we see the sun blocked by clouds and the grass get darker as well as the rest of the scene. The shot looks better with the clouds softening the light from the sun, but this was a minor problem compared to all the traffic in the background. This traffic was a bigger distraction and took away from the your scene. The two things that come to mind as a fix might have been to shoot with a longer lens so the traffic was more out of focus (less distracting) and lessen the background noise by whatever means possible.

Please take my comments as fine tuning suggestions. Overall, I thought both were great and I look forward to viewing your next project. I think all of your actors were excellent (don't know their backgrounds). You really did a fine job!

Take Care

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport