#1 Robert G Smith

Robert G Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Hi, I have 300 miniDV tapes, half NTSC and half PAL and I would like to transfer them all to hard drive/flash drive, so I can work with them on computer. Yes, I am prepared to buy a MAC and numerous 1TB hard drives if necessary, and yes, I have a firewire and USB2 and a DVcam and yes, I could get my hands on Final Cut Pro, but my question is about settings. I do not want to lose any quality whatsoever, nothing. Do I have to compress files? I mean, how would you do such a transfer? Thanks...

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi, I have 300 miniDV tapes, half NTSC and half PAL and I would like to transfer them all to hard drive/flash drive, so I can work with them on computer. Yes, I am prepared to buy a MAC and numerous 1TB hard drives if necessary, and yes, I have a firewire and USB2 and a DVcam and yes, I could get my hands on Final Cut Pro, but my question is about settings. I do not want to lose any quality whatsoever, nothing. Do I have to compress files? I mean, how would you do such a transfer? Thanks...

Just capture in as DV files, over firewire, it will be a direct copy of the data on the tape. You won't loose any quality. As long as you have enough storage you won't need to compress any of the files further - DV is already compressed.

You will need lots of storage - 1TB is about 80 hours of DV quality footage

#3 Robert G Smith

Robert G Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:37 AM

Just capture in as DV files, over firewire, it will be a direct copy of the data on the tape. You won't loose any quality. As long as you have enough storage you won't need to compress any of the files further - DV is already compressed.

You will need lots of storage - 1TB is about 80 hours of DV quality footage

Thanks, sounds like good advice... using Final Cut?

#4 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:18 AM

Thanks, sounds like good advice... using Final Cut?

Most editing packages can handle DV - so your choice would be more down to the features you need to cut the footage. Final Cut pro would be a good choice - or you could try Premier or Avid - the advantage of these packages let you use a PC, which would be cheaper to buy then a Mac. That said Macs are nice and Final Cut Pro is very good.

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

On the other side of Phil's post- Macs are highly respected and are more than adequate for the job. Yet, there is considerable versatility, savings, power and expandability in an Adobe/PC arrangement.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

Opal

Visual Products