Photo

Camera Resolution - What is considered TV Quality Acceptible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marcus Phipps

Marcus Phipps
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Greetings. I have a multitude of 'newbie' questions. However, I am going to hopefully ask something that maybe has been answered in ten previous posts but not quite what i've found so far. In summary, hopefully it will help other newbies to understand the basics of CCD video technology and how it might apply to their needs. This is my second post. Please don't be too harsh to me.

1) I see that 700 horizontal line resolution seems to be what is suggested for acceptable TV resolution. Is 700 resolution correct? Or can 600 or 650 be acceptable?
2) If resolution is sub-par, what can be expected? Pixilation? Or other such as light variances?

If you have additional input or suggestions related to horizontal line resolution,... please elaborate. This will assist multiple newbies. Thank you very much.

Most Respectfully,
Acastle
:rolleyes:

Edited by A Castle, 16 October 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

There are two parts to what is considered TV quality. One is the technical and the other is aesthetic.

In terms of technical there is often a need for the video and sound to be in a specific format - this is often where you'll find the terms HD, SD, PAL and NTSC thrown around. The audio-visual content needs to be a certain resolution, frame rate, audio sampling rate, media etc so it can be broadcast. Unique formats such as cellphone footage, youtube clips or super8 film can be transferred to standardized formats for playback during broadcast.

Aesthetic quality is often a more flexible requirement, but many broadcasters do have certain requirements for the quality of the material shot. A broadcaster might allow video shot on a cellphone for a news item as people normally want to see any footage of a spectacular news event even if it is a low resolution cell phone video, but they'd refuse a period drama shot on a cellphone because the quality would be deemed unsuitable - low resolution, compression artefacts, etc.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets