No replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Phipps

Marcus Phipps
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

My question is related to the basics of video lenses. How they 'make' or 'break' a video shot. Keeping in mind most newbies will use the standard 'included' lens that comes with their camera purchase.

It would be great to have someone post a photo or short video of an interview or short video shot with two separate lenses to show how a shot can be made or ruined. Some of you may have two of the same cameras and able to shoot the same shot simultaneously. Just an idea.

Aside from this 'great idea' of mine,... if anyone could explain some of the lenses. There are likely a hundred to choose from. I am guessing. Specific questions are,...

1) What are common lenses to have in a newbie's arsenal aside from the 'included' lense?
2) What reason is there to change lenses for only one shot? I am under the impression that some camera operators will shoot a scene and change lenses for only fast moving / action scenes like a change from shooting a car parked to that same car taking off at 100mph. Am I misunderstanding this? If this happens,... why? I am thinking lenses are to help gather larger image of a scene. Nothing to do with the speed of an object. However, I am posing this question in honest ignorance.

Anything else you care to elaborate on related to basic video lenses is greatly appreciated and will assist other newbies from their searches.

Most Respectfully,
Acastle

Edited by A Castle, 17 October 2009 - 02:06 AM.

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post