I am 'inheriting' a Canon DXC-327 video camera. It looks impressive and professional. And even says "Professional" on the camera. So it must be true. I mean it just must be true. he he
Here are my questions related to this camera. I have zero knowledge on this camera. I was lucky enough to get one from family with good intentions. I feel it is a good way to learn from without investing any money. I know most of you will hate this camera and the technology is old. But I pick it up in a few weeks when I visit family. Here's what I was told it has :
- 3 CCD HAD Sensor
- CA 327 Adaptor DC 12v 0.8w
- Fujinon Eagle Lense s16x7BMD-D18
It is said to be in good condition. But I simply don't know what it really is and what I really need. Thus the following questions.
1) Recording Unit - I want to record to a hard drive preferably. Is this possible?
2) If not possible to go into a PC / hard drive, what options do I have or am I restricted to look for? Or what special cables might I need?
3) Is this considered a 'sub par' camera? I'm sure at one time it was something worthy of owning. But I have a feeling it's really a nice looking paper-weight in this day and age. Maybe they are still used in some places or countries. Just curious if it's even considered a reputable camera anymore? Ignoring today's technology. Is this camera still used?
4) Does this camera require allot of 'tweaking'? Meaning, some of the older cameras are said to have to have allot of tweaking and they all have screw-marring from being taken apart. Does this particular model have any known issues or tweaking requirements I should be made aware of?
5) What type of lens(es) should I look for to fit? If I want to change out whatever lens this has (listed above). I'm sure I will have plenty to learn from for quite some time. But felt this thread would be a good time to ask such questions?
6) I seem to find online that this camera requires some sort of 'capture' device aside from the physical recorder. I believe (from what I can see thus far) that I have the choice of any EVV-9000 or PVV decks per BroadCastStore.com. Aside from the actual recorder, are any other rack or external units required? I am guessing one of the specs above is the power supply. Not certain.
7) Once I capture the video on this camera and play it out of whichever recorder I end up with,... can I just import it into a standard PC? I have Adobe Premiere CS3. Just curious if it's going to be difficult or specific or if it will be simply running an audio and video cable from the back of the player into my video card? Any other things that may be a problem for me exporting audio and video to my PC for editing?
8) Speaking of audio,... will I experience audio and video delay? You know,... sometimes when TV broadcasts live from long distances such as outside the States, there is a rather long delay. Or, in some low budget documentaries or commentaries there is lip sync time problems. If you could specify what I need to do for this particular camera to eliminate lip sync time problems. I also use DigiDesign ProTools LE with DV Package. So, I have the large overhead millisecond clock to refer to. But I need to know how to eliminate the risk of this as much as possible. Maybe the purchase of an additional hardware unit. And ten specify if it needs to run in line between camera and recorder. Or run between recorder and PC. Or however that all works. This is confusing to most newbies.
9) I've seen the Sony DXC-327 and the DXC-327a. I have not been able to ascertain what the differences are.
10) Anything else you can offer relative to this particular camera is VERY much appreciated.
Even though most of you will giggle at the camera,... I am tickled I am inheriting one. It allows me the chance to learn on some older equipment. It appears to be 1/2" 3CCD camera. Thus, I am assuming it can't be too horrid. But I may be wrong. I just don't know if it's going to require allot of 'tweaking'. Even so,... I am semi-technically able with the direction of professionals. Meaning i'm not afraid to try.
I look forward to any answers you might offer to any of the above questions. Or, if you can answer all of them from previous use / ownership.
Edited by Marcus Phipps, 17 October 2009 - 04:23 AM.