#1 aisha nasir

aisha nasir

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

hey im going to be shooting a short film on 16mm kodak 500t tungsten balenced stock. In one part of the film we need to be able to film a monitor screen, and i was wondering if this would be possible? Im aware that digital filming of monitors produces lines (something to do with the refresh rate) but was wondering if i will get a flickering effect on film. Also i was wondering if anyone knew if i would need to use gels or filters to control the colour temperature of the light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

hey im going to be shooting a short film on 16mm kodak 500t tungsten balenced stock. In one part of the film we need to be able to film a monitor screen, and i was wondering if this would be possible? Im aware that digital filming of monitors produces lines (something to do with the refresh rate) but was wondering if i will get a flickering effect on film. Also i was wondering if anyone knew if i would need to use gels or filters to control the colour temperature of the light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The laptop screen will generally be closer to 5500k in temperature. So using daylight balanced stock would work best, or using a 85b filter with tungsten balanced film and daylight balanced lights would work too. Mixed temp lights can look funky, but a good colorist could get in spec if you are going to telecine.

Generally speaking LCD does not flicker on film or video, although I have filmed some LCD projectors that strobe faintly in parts of the image at 60i, dunno why. Shoot a test if you can.

#3 aisha nasir

aisha nasir

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

great thanks for the advise

#4 Russell Richard Fowler

Russell Richard Fowler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Miami, Florida

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Some LCD projectors will have a stobing flicker if the projection bulb is powered by a high frequency A.C. ballast......test to be sure.

#5 kenta

kenta

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Great advice. I was actually wondering about the same thing so this will help me greatly.

Regards,
Ken
Simulation pret immobilier

Willys Widgets

Opal

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape