#1 Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi, I'm looking to achieve a green cast from a fluorescent source, like robby müller did on "The American Friend" or "Paris, Texas" and many others... The main problem it's the sources are in the frame.
What type of tubes and gels do i need?

Thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hi, I'm looking to achieve a green cast from a fluorescent source, like robby müller did on "The American Friend" or "Paris, Texas" and many others... The main problem it's the sources are in the frame.
What type of tubes and gels do i need?

Thanks.

You need to use Cool White tubes with the camera at a 3200K base for "white" so that the bulbs read as blue + green (cyan). If you were at a 5600K base, then Cool Whites are less interesting since they are 4800K... the look is just sort of a pale, sickly green-yellow in daylight balance, not the interesting cyan look in tungsten balance. But it's important think about how to mix that color with other practicals, I tend to think that Cool White tubes look more interesting in the background of a tungsten-lit shot, or for select accents. Or for fill, sometimes I like that effect you see in night exterior urban photography from orange-yellow sodium-ish backlighting and cyan metal halide-ish fill.

#3 Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

I like that effect you see in night exterior urban photography from orange-yellow sodium-ish backlighting and cyan metal halide-ish fill.

I'm looking to mix green fluo lights and orange-yellow tungsten sources... So, i think i'm going with cool white tubes and tungsten with half or full CTS.

Thanks again.

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

The Slider

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Paralinx LLC